Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-14-2002, 10:38
XCURSiON

NE1 Switch ro Windows 2000 Much Better Than XP
Old 08-14-2002, 11:46
NE1

I suppose I could dual boot with 2000 if I had to. Couldn't do it with 98 as I am using ntfs.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:06
XCURSiON

IMHO you don't need XP at all just use 2k
Old 08-14-2002, 12:10
raven

Ne1
Host OS is XP and guest is 98se. Using Softice driver suite 2.6, works like a charm on virtual pc v 5.0.
Old 08-15-2002, 16:44
R@dier

raven:
Nice suggestion, I have given it a go and
It works great, Thanks
It does get a bit unstable at times tho'
and the keyboard will not work properly sometimes,
other then that it is nice to have hmemcpy back again

Have you had any trouble with the keyboard playin up?

Regards

R@dier
Old 08-15-2002, 23:14
ramzez

tell me exactly what breakpoints are not working with ds2.6. i have had issues with some but it seems all of them were solved as i configured softice to start BEFORE windows (winXp service pack level 0) instead of net start.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:44
NE1

There used to be a list here of many the breakpoints, etc. that were not working. It has been a while since then, thus I do not remember. People would have to post them again to get a good list (there was even some good work arounds listed for some of the problems). The most obvious problem is that Softice does not stop at Winmain, even though it is configured correctly in Symbol Loader. Have tried all suggestions I could find, and all start up modes for softice, and nothing worked. I seem to remember MessageBoxW being a problem, where Softice would just ignore the breakpoint. Also, I remember that Backtracing didn't work (but someone had a workaround for it, that did work, can't remember what it was though). The other problem with the breakpoints was that it wasn't always straight forward which ones worked and which ones didn't work, as occasionally the breakpoint might work. Anyway, I don't remember the rest of them. BTW: When I tested them, I was using code that I wrote myself in Win32 Asm, and thus I knew for a fact what API calls I was using, and thus knew for sure that Softice was ignoring the breakpoints I set on those API calls. As I stated before, I did try all the different startup modes for Softice (plus troubleshooting modes), including having it startup at boot, and it didn't work for me, so I would guess that, if you had these same problems, and have it working now, that it was something else that you did to fix it (I wish I knew what that is). I believe that when I first tried using DS2.6, that I had a clean install of Win XP (has been a while now), but as it stands now, I have SP0, with many SP1 hotfixes installed from the Windows Update site, so that is probably just adding to the problems.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:09
ramzez

MessageBoxW is for unicode, do you directly work with unicode in asm? I remember simple MessageBox working all the times, also breakpoints on memory range access and on windows messages, after I switch to boot start. Didn't try other ones. I don't understand this winmain thing, do you mean like debugging with compiler generated symbol files for your own application or just breakpoint on entry point?
I didn't do anything to this ds2.6 installation, I used to try those patches posted, but when I compared found out that one of the patches contains identical files that come with ds2.6, and another one has the same files older than original ds2.6, so I just stick with original ones and tried boot before windows instead. I'm not 100% sure if it works for every case, possibly not but seems to have solved problem with bpx and bpmsg. I didn't update my winxp though as far as I can remember,none of hotfixes installed here.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:10
NE1

As for the Winmain thing, it is an option in the symbol loader under Settings > Debugging > Stop at WinMain, Main, DllMain, etc., and basically makes Softice break at the programs entry point (when loaded through the symbol loader), etc.

As for the MessageboxW. The code I was writing was grabbing info from another NT application and required its use. Many NT apps use unicode and the related API calls.

In any case, there are other breakpoints that were not working as well (ones that are more useful than MessageBox, I only mentioned that one because it was one that I remebered did not work with certainty), that other people had posted, I just can't remember which ones they were.

It just makes it that much harder to find that specific part of the code you are looking for, (particulairly when reversing something), when that one bp you really need is ignored by softice. You end up having to do a lot more deadlisting of the program, rather than debugging. Those of us that currently have this problem, and are just working around it (rather than installing another OS), know what I mean, and any newbies that are just trying to learn how to use Softice, etc, and are following a tutorial or something, and it is not working... Well you can see the problems there.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:31
NE1

I forgot to mention Windows Messages You said that it works for you, but I haven't been able to to use those bp's myself. For example:
BMSG XXXXXX WM_GETTEXT
I wasn't sure if it was another Softice problem, or maybe something changed in XP and I am just not doing it right.
Do you know the answer to that?