Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-09-2002, 02:03
NE1

SICE Driver Suite and Win XP

Anyone know how to get Softice (the version in the Driver Suite 2.6) to work correctly with Win XP.
There used to be a thread here with all the problems poeple were having (i.e. SICE not stopping at WinMain, certain BP's not working, back tracing problems, etc.).
Has anyone figured out how to get it to work correctly (without the above mentioned problems) with XP yet?
Old 08-13-2002, 06:45
NE1

NE1

Just noticed I had message board settings only showing topics from last 30 days, thus I missed a bunch on stuff on this subject. Anyway, I am going look through some of the older threads and try some of the suggestions given.
BTW: In my case, version 4.05 with XP Patch, and DS2.6 do not work correctly.
It might be helpful if people who actaully got it to work correctly could post what version of Windows they are using (Professional, Corporate, etc.), and what type of processor they have (Intel, AMD, etc), so maybe we can see if there is something common there.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:25
NE1

OK, using info from some of the other posts here, I uninstalled DS 2.6, installed the Microsoft DDK, and Symbol files, ran the debugger from the ddk and then reinstalled DS 2.6. Nothing has changed, Softice still has same problems as before. Can someone explain exactly what Softice actually needs. With previous Windows OS's, I never needed the DDK, or symbol files. I just use Softice for application level debugging and not device driver stuff. Is the DDK or Symbol files needed for this type of debugging? The only thing I saw in the DDK that looked like it might affect Softice settings was the global flags settings, and I tried many different settings without resolving the problems with Softice. What exactly am I supposed to do with the DDK, other than installing it?

Last edited by NE1; 08-14-2002 at 02:33.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:30
game tech

Rept. Given: 16
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Rcvd at 13 Times in 8 Posts
dion Reputation: 2
have u tried the ds2.6 patch yet?
Old 08-13-2002, 11:02
NE1

No, I have not seen any DS 2.6 patches? Where is this patch you speak of?
Old 08-13-2002, 16:22
game tech

Rept. Given: 16
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Rcvd at 13 Times in 8 Posts
dion Reputation: 2
almost forgotten

try to search same topic in RCE:
hxxp://fraviamb.cjb.net/

there's one patch to download. hope it solved the problem down.
Old 08-13-2002, 17:37
R@dier

the patch is also available in these forums, and many web sites
search and ye shall find

h**p://w*w.exetools.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=782&highlight=softice

R@dier
Old 08-14-2002, 02:29
NE1

R@dier, that patch you are talking about is for Softice 4.05 for NT, and that is not the version that comes with DS 2.6, and I allready stated that neither Softice 4.05 for NT with the XP Patch, nor DS 2.6 (Softice version 4.2.6 build 922) works for me. Dion, is this the same patch the you are talking about? The only other patches I saw (on the message board you mentioned), was anti Softice detection patches. Although they say they are for DS 2.6, they are not related to the problem I am having. A lot of poeple were having this same issue, has anyone that had this issue (specifically with DS 2.6 and Windows XP, not Win 2000 or 98 or ME, and not SICE 4.05), been able to get it working?

Last edited by NE1; 08-14-2002 at 02:47.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:50
R@dier

NE1 :

Try to search!!!

I found this in less then a minute,
I used this on DS2.6 running on XP

h**p://w*w.exetools.com/forum/showthread.php s=&threadid=527&highlight=softice

there are also many other sources available on the web

Last edited by R@dier; 08-14-2002 at 02:53.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:25
NE1

Allright R@dier, lets get this straight. I know how to search and have searched and searched (and have seen that same patch and others like it in my searches). Once again the patch you are speaking of is for Softice 4.05 for NT, and just for the hell of it, I did try it, even though it is an older version of the softice componenets then what comes with DS 2.6, and guess what, it didn't help, so please, no more Softice 4.05 patches. If it worked for you, I am glad, but instead of saying "try searching", you should have said try the version 4.05 patch, and that it worked for you. Otherwise, it sounds like there is a 2.6 patch around somewhere that I am not seeing, when in fact there isn't. Anyway, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the help, I am just getting frustrated, as I have not been able to use Softice since installing XP (been a long time now), and have tried a zillion different things trying to get it to work. (and I do know how to use Softice, I have used it on Win95, 98, ME, and NT 4.0, so it not a case of newbie mistakes... just to get that out of the way as well)
Old 08-14-2002, 03:53
VIP

Rept. Given: 57
Rept. Rcvd 12 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 78
Thanks Rcvd at 27 Times in 13 Posts
_Servil_ Reputation: 12
NE1,

calm down you're not the only1 frustrated about this. If you look around there are about 15,219 threads about ppl having problems about SI on XP. Though I'm far from beeing a NT kernel expert neither a debug registers guru it's most likely a sw conflict and there's really NO PATCH available afaik.

Wait for next ver.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:38
an0nymous

Talking

yeah..my grama say it thoo

"my sweetheart, if u need biggest/largest/.. errection - u must use a SICE (my grama hate luitaotao :) with Win98 only!

i think its true..when i erase W2k/XP and start using SICE+Win98 i lost my depressions and fixup some psychical problems like sexual disfunction, frustration, apathic mind and chaotic talking (not 100% fixed yet)

trust me..

Last edited by an0nymous; 08-14-2002 at 05:44.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:15
NE1

lol

Hopefully DS 2.7 will fix it once and for all. I am just sick of waiting. First it was wait for the 4.05 patch, then DS 2.5, then DS 2.6, none of which worked... now waiting for DS 2.7
Old 08-14-2002, 06:43
raven

One option that I just started using is to install Connectix Virtual PC v5, better then sliced bread, load win98 with virtual pc and you will be back to using softice in no time. I am running XP as the host machine and switching to 98 just takes a second. Very nice product.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:29
NE1

Hmmm, I tried Virtual PC a ways back, and Softice would not work in it. I can't remember which guest OS I used or which version of Softice I used at the time at the time, but it wouldn't work. I didn't play with it all the much, because I just figured it would not run in a VM. What guest OS are you using and which version of Softice? Maybe I will give a try again if you say it works. I agree Virtual PC is a nice product, and I still use it to play around with other OS's without having to re-partition my hard drive, etc (currently running Mandrake Linux 8.2 as a guest OS). Only problem is that it is a bit slow. I also have VMware which is similair, but I like Virtual PC more.