Exetools

Exetools (https://forum.exetools.com/index.php)
-   Community Tools (https://forum.exetools.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   ArkDasm (https://forum.exetools.com/showthread.php?t=15279)

cyberbob 10-02-2013 01:38

ArkDasm

Hi,

Here is my new project ArkDasm http://www.arkdasm.com

Its a 64-bit interactive disassembler. Its pre-alpfa version and still a lot of work left but IMHO basic functionality is finished.
I did not bother with context menu so please use keybord shortcuts instead.
Keyboard shortcuts are pretty standard n(rename), x(show xref), ;(add comment), c(make code), d(make data), u(undefine) and more for a full list of shortcuts look into readme.pdf

The binary itself is 64-bit and vs2012 runtimes are required http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

giv 10-03-2013 18:09

Nice project.
Keep it going.

aldente 10-04-2013 06:41

What do we need another disassembler for?

There were 96 crappy disassemblers before, now there are 97.

ONE good disassembler would be of much more use than 97 crappy ones!

chessgod101 10-04-2013 14:15

aldente, you need to be more respectful for the hard work that cyberbob has placed into coding this disassembler. If his software does not meet your requirements, I suggest that you code your own disassembler instead of criticizing his application. Cyberbob coded this disassembler to meet his requirements, not your own.

uranus64 10-04-2013 14:36

aldente, I don't know you as I don't know cyberbob. So I will simply express my personal opinion. Each disassembler was once one of many. But some of them became real kings on reversing scene. How do you know that a new star isn't born right now?

cyberbob 10-04-2013 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldente (Post 87197)
There were 96 crappy disassemblers before, now there are 97.

96 ? wow I didn't know there was so many, let's hope we can make it a 100 before the end of this year.

aldente 10-06-2013 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessgod101 (Post 87198)
If his software does not meet your requirements, I suggest that you code your own disassembler instead of criticizing his application.

NO, that is the WORST thing to do! That would only lead to one more useless disassembler!

The is one really good disassembler: IDA

There would be room for another disassembler, an open source tool. Instead of starting 97 disassembler projects, which only have rudimentary features and will die soon because of a lack of support, all these authors should contribute to the same project.

Look at webbrowser engines: There are only THREE major engines: Trident (Internet Explorer), Gecko (Firefox, SeaMonkey, ...) and WebKit (Safari, Opera, Chrome, ...). The two open source engines Gecko and WebKit are great products, because thousands of developers contribute to each one.

Imagine if each of these developers startet to write his own engine instead. There would be hundreds of crappy webbrowser engines out there, none of which would be even close to Gecko or WebKit quality-wise.

NOBODY should start writing a new disassembler! It just doesn't make any sense!
The reverse engineering scene lacks good, coordinated software development. Right now, everybody is just wasting his time. The goal should be to creating something bigger, together, just like the open source guys.

deepzero 10-07-2013 01:16

Agreed.

Some screenshots of yet another product were floating around in some IRC channels recently. it looked very, very promising and the dude mentioned a fairly large team was in charge of maintaining it.

No further information, though, havnt seen the guy anywhere since.

evlncrn8 10-07-2013 02:24

really depends on the actual task at hand, if its for documentation ida is pretty much the best (albeit its slow.. even slower with pdb processing), if its for disasm->edit->reasm then its not really that useful i find

mr.exodia 10-07-2013 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepzero (Post 87263)
Agreed.

Some screenshots of yet another product were floating around in some IRC channels recently. it looked very, very promising and the dude mentioned a fairly large team was in charge of maintaining it.

No further information, though, havnt seen the guy anywhere since.

I heard about this too, do you still have the screenshots?

@aldente: actually I don't agree with you, from making your own stuff you can learn a lot. I'm currently making a 64 bit debugger, can't say its the best now but I can say I learned hundreds of things of it. Obviously my product isn't going to compete with olly or ida, but I like to do things the way I like it with a very select few who agree with my ideas. A big project (let's say for the whole reversing community) can be a good thing, but when it's wild and new everybody just tries to push their ideas into it and eventually it will suck.

Just my two cents

edit: just for the record: I'm not building from ground up, I use TitanEngine for the debugger and BeaEngine for the disassembler part, QT for the GUI soon..

ZeNiX 10-08-2013 10:54

I agree with mr.exodia that we can learn a lot from own projects.

Also, I think we need more encouragement for most of the own project persons.
We do not want to kill a new star before it starts to shine and flash.

cyberbob 10-09-2013 01:16

small update, alpha version released:

+ added local debug symbols (PDB file) loading
+ added new command: sym

deepzero 10-11-2013 03:19

Quote:

I heard about this too, do you still have the screenshots?
Unfortunately, no. Still waiting for that guy to surface somewhere.

Maybe someone else does?

CfF2002 10-12-2013 14:45

This project looks promising.
Keep up the good work!

cyberbob 10-20-2013 22:19

beta version released, it's one small step in development but one giant leap in usability

+ added save, load database