Exetools

Exetools (https://forum.exetools.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forum.exetools.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Somebody busy trying sync hotmails for years. (https://forum.exetools.com/showthread.php?t=19284)

Max 08-01-2019 14:46

Somebody busy trying sync hotmails for years.

Is it any cause for concern?

This thing started probably a few years ago. I didnt check security login history until the last 2 years that I take notice.

Got a few regular hotmails that I use daily. The histoy show sync fail from different countries including Europe and Asia.

atom0s 08-02-2019 02:51

Probably just typical bruteforce attempts to log into accounts with insecure passwords. If they are accounts you care about and want to protect, change the passwords to something extremely difficult to brute (mixed case, symbols, extra long, etc.) as well as enable 2-factor authentication on them.

Max 08-06-2019 01:34

Nothing important inside, passwords already changed, but the attempts occuring as a monthly event. Dont they ever give up?

atom0s 08-06-2019 03:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 117955)
Nothing important inside, passwords already changed, but the attempts occuring as a monthly event. Dont they ever give up?

It's almost always automated. They find your email either from a dump that is posted online somewhere, or bought within a bundle of leaked information on the dark web. Then that information is used with bruteforcing tools to try and break into as many emails as possible from said lists they obtain.

Same thing happens with other online services, such as things like remote desktop access to servers, IP cameras, other site logins that could contain personal information such as banking, Paypal, Stripe, other payment sites, etc.

If you use those emails with certain sites, they will have a greater value to be broken into so depending on where it came from dump wise. If it's just every day emails they are probably not at all interested, but if you do use it with certain sites, even if it's simple stuff like a site that offers hidden VIP sections, special downloads etc. they could be interested in that.

Max 09-23-2019 13:19

Come to think of it, probably sites where I get free things or trials and also games but the games site mostly already shutdown.

Max 04-29-2020 14:01

4 Attachment(s)
Attached some photos how the attempt looks like.

As I dig more the leak seem to be from emails, skypes and bygones sites. Some sites even have my phone number.:eek:

Anyone still using skype?:rolleyes:

Max 01-01-2021 16:24

An update, the sync attempts never dies down, now even attempted login also been detected more often.

I also discover when checking login activity status, the current login session show me logged from another country. I'm totally bewildered.:confused:

Kurapica 01-01-2021 18:47

Is the account compromised ?

Why don't you change the password and increase your security measures ?

ARUBA 01-04-2021 20:52

1. sign-off everywhere
2. change passwords, use a password generator (the one integrated in Keepass is ok) and add/change some characters with % & *( , etc
3. use multi factor auth

tusk 02-11-2021 21:39

Yep, I added 2FA on all my accounts.
Never had any problem but i still feel way safer

Max 02-12-2021 03:33

Password already changed, it just that sometimes when logged in and check geolocation status, all wrong, but if relogin on same browser again, problem gone. It's weird.