Exetools

Exetools (https://forum.exetools.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forum.exetools.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wanted: old DOS debugger s-ice v1.03 & v2.1 (https://forum.exetools.com/showthread.php?t=19556)

BlackWhite 06-18-2020 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrevella (Post 120367)
Even me have try to run Softice for dos in an emulated environment, but I always failed.
Wmvare is able (with some limitations) to run Softice for window, but not softice for dos :-(

Have you made SoftIce run on Windows XP inside Vmware?

danrevella 06-19-2020 03:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWhite (Post 120391)
Have you made SoftIce run on Windows XP inside Vmware?

It was some years ago, but yes I remember xp emulate with wmware ( i failed with Virtualbox) Softice 4.05 if i good remember, but not x dos..

pp2 07-02-2020 03:45

Nowadays you can use debugger built-in in DosBox. It is useful and comes with full source, so you can modify it as you need.

chants 07-02-2020 04:06

Or going back in time if you have 9900 Euros lying around, you can buy an 80186 In-Circuit Emulator or learn all about it here: https://ceibo.com/eng/products/ds186.shtml

arthur plank 07-02-2020 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by chants (Post 120486)
Or going back in time if you have 9900 Euros lying around, you can buy an 80186 In-Circuit Emulator or learn all about it here: https://ceibo.com/eng/products/ds186.shtml

That brings back some memories. I looked into getting one of these to develop an access control system many moons ago. But the accountants said no, so I had to make do with plenty of flashing LEDs and print statements :eek:

chants 07-02-2020 19:26

It would be an amazing tool to experiment with or toy to play with, but alas the cost is just too ridiculous.

Its amazing that the latest I could find are for 386 processors.

I guess the hardware people are using different tools and techniques to do development. Probably we are at the point that software emulators and VMs and such are more than adequate. And so an ICE has become more or less an expensive part of history. Doubtful an ICE for modern x86 processors will ever be made.

elephant 07-19-2020 20:28

A good tool was the Action Replay, they released a couple of versions for PC (DOS and Windows 95/98).

The Amiga version was much more advanced, a real hardware debugger.

bolo2002 07-19-2020 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by elephant (Post 120643)
A good tool was the Action Replay, they released a couple of versions for PC (DOS and Windows 95/98).

The Amiga version was much more advanced, a real hardware debugger.

alas they never sold it like amiga's one,bad implemented,isa card and buggy as hell afaik.

Fyyre 07-25-2020 20:43

DOS/Win9x viruses? all the good ones were by z0mbie and vecna =>

an0rma1 07-28-2020 01:43

@Fyyre ... you know stuff :)
Still today reading all the stuff released by z0mbie would be sooo useful for many people,

Vecna also produced very good code, but Z0mbie used to released weird and interesting stuff (as the zip cryptor he used in his
releases), imho.
With these people you learn to think as a reverser, yes you do specific things, but you learnt how these guys solved complex problems in optimum ways, many time hackish, but sooo much fun, and also usable in modern times in many different problems.

The HPVA scene was a incredible learning resource for many people, I specially remember many Virii zines as A29, 40hex or Vlad magazines. I recommed you guys download some online collection or repo of virii zines ,still many things online, get it before is impossible to get. Btw, I maintain a huge DOS virii collection, also a DOS CRACKMEs collection, all those are extensively search online and scrapped and collected for any site I've could found (if you have stuff to add, make me happy and send me links :D )

My favourite stuff to research were mutation engines, cryptors, tracers, etc
Maybe many of you remember coming to this same page to get last versions of Unp unpacker, or the many packers released by ROSE, Stone, etc It was a very prolific time, maybe people coded packers and protectors, other people created specific deprotectors or even better, generic unpackers, using VMs a a lot of advanced stuff.

It were good times, I think I keep collecting DOS stuff for my collection because I learned all through these things (and not coding stupid crud Clipper vertical programs :D:D)

Ethereal 07-28-2020 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by an0rma1 (Post 120751)
Btw, I maintain a huge DOS virii collection, also a DOS CRACKMEs collection, all those are extensively search online and scrapped and collected for any site I've could found (if you have stuff to add, make me happy and send me links :D )

Hi an0rma1,
is your collection public or otherwise reachable on the internet?

ZeNiX 07-28-2020 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by an0rma1 (Post 120751)
@Fyyre ... you know stuff :)
Still today reading all the stuff released by z0mbie would be sooo useful for many people,

Vecna also produced very good code, but Z0mbie used to released weird and interesting stuff (as the zip cryptor he used in his
releases), imho.
With these people you learn to think as a reverser, yes you do specific things, but you learnt how these guys solved complex problems in optimum ways, many time hackish, but sooo much fun, and also usable in modern times in many different problems.

The HPVA scene was a incredible learning resource for many people, I specially remember many Virii zines as A29, 40hex or Vlad magazines. I recommed you guys download some online collection or repo of virii zines ,still many things online, get it before is impossible to get. Btw, I maintain a huge DOS virii collection, also a DOS CRACKMEs collection, all those are extensively search online and scrapped and collected for any site I've could found (if you have stuff to add, make me happy and send me links :D )

My favourite stuff to research were mutation engines, cryptors, tracers, etc
Maybe many of you remember coming to this same page to get last versions of Unp unpacker, or the many packers released by ROSE, Stone, etc It was a very prolific time, maybe people coded packers and protectors, other people created specific deprotectors or even better, generic unpackers, using VMs a a lot of advanced stuff.

It were good times, I think I keep collecting DOS stuff for my collection because I learned all through these things (and not coding stupid crud Clipper vertical programs :D:D)

You refreshed my old memories.
ROSE (Ralph Roth) and Stone (The UCF one?) are my friends in DOS time.
I coded a simple protector called FSE at that time as well.
So, I was more focus on protection, not virii things.

an0rma1 07-28-2020 16:25

@zenix: FSE was one of the most advanced protector from its era :D I remember it painfully :D I got versions from 0.4 to 0.76c, also I have from you a Trap protector remover. Yes I was not interested in Virii per se, just to know more about coding, techniques, etc.
Also, did you know Rose keeps releasing DOS stuff all these years? I got a huge archive of all his releases until today.

@ethereal: I uploaded here a pair of times these last years, but it's constantly updated, I can upload what I have know, I can upload these: DosExe collection, a huge Dos Compilers collection (I am sure this is the biggest one you can find), a Floppy copying/managing collection (also pretty unique stuff here), and some smallers ones.

All of these is previous work to a general DOS collection I am planning.

If you want I can upload those.

Edit: done a quick pack and uploaded in Community tools, have fun.

Rasmus 07-28-2020 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethereal (Post 120754)
Hi an0rma1,
is your collection public or otherwise reachable on the internet?

Public here:
Code:

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/

ZeNiX 07-29-2020 16:01

@an0rma1 No, I do not know ROSE is still releasing DOS stuffs.
I lost my computers, source codes and collections in the Taiwan 921 earthquake (1999).
Luckily, my families survived from it.