Exetools

Exetools (https://forum.exetools.com/index.php)
-   x64 OS (https://forum.exetools.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   64bit debuggers for Linux (https://forum.exetools.com/showthread.php?t=19672)

CZC 10-08-2020 01:57

64bit debuggers for Linux

IDA doesn't have a local 64bit debugger but you can use it with gdb and remote debugging to some extent. If you have 32bit versions of the program that you want to debug then you can still use IDA with a 32bit local debugger on a 64bit system.

Hopper-v4 is a reasonable 64bit debugger (for Linux and Mac) but the debugger interface is mouse based and it lacks some features.

EDB is a free 64bit debugger but the disassembles is very basic.

What are your favorite 64bit debuggers for Linux?

Fyyre 11-22-2020 04:22

Without sounding typical, or boring. I use GDB, given I have not found a better solution.

Having a good .gdbinit file and gdb-stl-views always helps.

IMHO, having x64dbg for Linux would be most ideal! I understand no one has infiniate time, etc.

While not 100% certain, I thought newer versions of Visual Studio offered some support for this too? There is commericial product VisualGDB, but I have yet to try it.

Regards,
-Fyyre

Quote:

Originally Posted by CZC (Post 121393)
IDA doesn't have a local 64bit debugger but you can use it with gdb and remote debugging to some extent. If you have 32bit versions of the program that you want to debug then you can still use IDA with a 32bit local debugger on a 64bit system.

Hopper-v4 is a reasonable 64bit debugger (for Linux and Mac) but the debugger interface is mouse based and it lacks some features.

EDB is a free 64bit debugger but the disassembles is very basic.

What are your favorite 64bit debuggers for Linux?

tecnmarl 11-26-2020 02:24

If you compile the kernel with the features in the hacking section, you can observe the system at a very low level. GDB is the standard. In terms of graphical interfaces, we are behind compared to the famous tools

CZC 07-08-2021 01:51

GDB is great if you have the sources of what you are trying to debug or at least the executable is compiled with debug symbols.

But what if you are trying to debug someone's else stripped application? Then GDB is not so great anymore, you have to type a lot just to disassemble a few instructions, set breakpoints or skip library functions.

What I would like to have is a text based debugger like IDA with tvision had for 32bit applications. Those were the good old days.

morgot 07-20-2021 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by CZC (Post 121393)
IDA doesn't have a local 64bit debugger

Use Ida Free, it can debug local.
I use Ida Free 7.0 and EDB to debug 64 bit linux.

matt 12-08-2021 23:12

I recommend GDB + pwndbg (gdb plugin) ! If you prefer Windows style (Visual Studio), you can try VisualGDB or VisualKernel.