Exetools

Exetools (https://forum.exetools.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forum.exetools.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Group discount on IDA Pro (https://forum.exetools.com/showthread.php?t=19336)

binarylaw 09-28-2019 11:02

Group discount on IDA Pro

Would it be possible to buy IDA Pro 7.3 as a group? If everyone pitched in some bitcoin, it could make it pretty cheap. Any thoughts?

bolo2002 09-28-2019 22:38

it's a redundant idea since many years.

DARKER 09-28-2019 23:59

I see some similar offer on r0 Crew forum:

Code:

https://forum.reverse4you.org/t/ida-pro-7-3-f5-lowest-price/10731

WhoCares 09-29-2019 01:01

It has been done so many times, if the IDA vendor can't detect such a trick.

binarylaw 09-29-2019 05:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolo2002 (Post 118382)
it's a redundant idea since many years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoCares (Post 118384)
It has been done so many times, if the IDA vendor can't detect such a trick.

How often has it worked? And if it has worked many times in the past, how come there haven't been more releases from such group buys?

That being said, I'm in support of doing this and willing to contribute, if any others are too. 7.3 would be great to use.

It was on a Chinese that I saw this idea being done, along with other software packages. I thought it was a great idea. I assume then that the only hurdle to this working is IDA/Ilfak refusing to sell?

Chuck954 09-29-2019 06:22

Of course they'd refuse to sell. They usually only sell to existing customers or established companies. They do extensive background checks to prevent such an occurrence.. Perhaps posing as a previous buyer might work but you'd have to know everything about them and still unlikely to work.

atom0s 09-29-2019 09:14

Don't think a group-based purchase has ever happened. Just something that is suggested every few months.

Like @Chuck954 said though, the IDA team has been extremely anal lately with licensing to personal developers or small teams. Best bet would be to try and use a reseller but the amount of those that are still around is fairly low too. (Along with those with fair pricing and are actually legit.) You can see some of the lead devs previous Tweets over the last ~2 years and see how he's been towards others. Especially since Ghidra was announced and then released.

Archer 09-30-2019 02:30

It happens from time to time. It's not that hard to buy. The reason it doesn't get released is because prolonging the license is a lot cheaper than initial purchase.

eychei 10-26-2019 22:15

Hi,

actually I would like to try a group buy. Is anyone interested? I do have a company to get a quote.
How can we do this? Is it much cheaper? Or just say 10% off?

-e

niculaita 10-26-2019 23:17

I would like too

CryptXor 10-26-2019 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by atom0s (Post 118388)
Don't think a group-based purchase has ever happened. Just something that is suggested every few months.

Like @Chuck954 said though, the IDA team has been extremely anal lately with licensing to personal developers or small teams. Best bet would be to try and use a reseller but the amount of those that are still around is fairly low too. (Along with those with fair pricing and are actually legit.) You can see some of the lead devs previous Tweets over the last ~2 years and see how he's been towards others. Especially since Ghidra was announced and then released.

It has happened, I know of one off the top of my head that I 'heard from a friend of a friend', so nobody PM me asking for a seat...
Chinese group, has been 'group buying' and renewing for a while now. I don't know if its from a re-seller in China or HexRays directly, but if it works, who really cares? Buy-in was 7000 CNY initially, for all platforms and plugins, but its basically been the same group of guys since it started.

However, in general, I'm inclined to agree. I doubt anything that is organized with the expectation of "let's pool small amounts of money and just pay for a license" will be very successful, given the actual cost involved.

I'm very interested to see how Hex-Rays responds to Ghidra when it eventually get's a debugger. Price cuts maybe? Not being so anal about your clients? The NSA has certainly lit a fire under Ilfak's ass lol...

binarylaw 11-02-2019 04:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by eychei (Post 118539)
Hi,

actually I would like to try a group buy. Is anyone interested? I do have a company to get a quote.
How can we do this? Is it much cheaper? Or just say 10% off?

-e

You mean you know a reseller we could buy through? Or meaning you have your own company? Either way, that'd be helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CryptXor (Post 118544)
It has happened, I know of one off the top of my head that I 'heard from a friend of a friend', so nobody PM me asking for a seat...
Chinese group, has been 'group buying' and renewing for a while now. I don't know if its from a re-seller in China or HexRays directly, but if it works, who really cares? Buy-in was 7000 CNY initially, for all platforms and plugins, but its basically been the same group of guys since it started.

However, in general, I'm inclined to agree. I doubt anything that is organized with the expectation of "let's pool small amounts of money and just pay for a license" will be very successful, given the actual cost involved.

I'm very interested to see how Hex-Rays responds to Ghidra when it eventually get's a debugger. Price cuts maybe? Not being so anal about your clients? The NSA has certainly lit a fire under Ilfak's ass lol...

Hmm maybe it's the same Chinese group I found that were also doing a group buy.

I agree on being interested to see their response to Ghidra. I expect that the analness will have to go down pretty soon, and the humility up :)

foil 11-08-2019 00:10

I'm not sure if we would be able to do it or not, but count me in for the group buy if it ever happens!

Sky 11-20-2019 17:10

Will never happen according past experiences of other members of other forums etc...