Exetools

Exetools (https://forum.exetools.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forum.exetools.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An information (https://forum.exetools.com/showthread.php?t=19575)

wilson bibe 07-03-2020 00:01

An information

Hello, Is there any way to fix a certain date on the PC boot? Manually I can set that date at any time, however what I seek is to fix a date permanently, thank you in advance for any suggestion.

deepzero 07-03-2020 05:19

Just set it manually in the BIOS? You will probably also have to disable time syncing with internet in Windows. If the problem is that the PC doesnt remember the date, the battery on your mainboard might be empty.

chants 07-03-2020 11:07

If you dont need the clock to tick after boot then battery removal is th quick solution.

I think to not have to manually do it in BIOS since you say every boot back to same time, that well BIOS modding is the best but an overkill method. Not only reversing the BIOS understanding the time module, finding some space for your patch and such but also flashing it when it's not properly packaged or signed or what other restrictions are there. Any mistake and the machine is bricked, a laboratory must reflash the ROM.

If you are loading Windows then make a Kernel driver and set it to boot priority to make it early in the boot process. You might have to turn off driver signing enforcement if you do not have an authenticode certificate to sign it. Probably the driver will be very short on code but I do not know what kernel calls or effectively BIOS interrupts are needed to do it. Obviously you won't use WinAPI here.

silver 07-04-2020 01:53

If you are booting via UEFI, try insert an UEFI module ;~)

DavidXanatos 07-04-2020 02:30

Is the clock integrated into the chip set or a standard standalone chip on the main board?

if its the later than its probably connected via I2C or SPI, you could solder in an Arduino to emulate that chip and instead of it always return a fixed date.

chants 07-04-2020 12:54

Oh if booting by MBR then write code in a few bytes to do it load sector one and then jump to that code. In sector one, put your original MBR. Of course it will confuse partition utilities if you also dont write the partition table also at the end of this sector but that's also doable. It will still confuse MBR utilities but that's the price for this method.

As for the UEFI idea, disabling secure boot and going that route is interesting but I imagine building a proper UEFI module which will chainload the original UEFI module is no easy task.

Both of these methods although early in the boot process are more difficult than writing the kernel driver.

Of all ideas so far, many are novelty or impractical or lead to certain subtle disfunctions except the kernel driver. If you want a frozen clock not just a reset on boot one, then taking out the battery is the way to go. Soldering an arduino to your mainboard in a good machine or playing with MBR or UEFI loaders or BIOS modding would certainly lead to an article, a video or source code I'd love to see

phono 07-18-2020 03:20

Just to add one other possibility, you could use VMware and disable all time synchro in the OS and in the VM editing the .vmx file (google should help out):

rtc.startTime = "1514811661"
time.synchronize.continue ="FALSE"
time.synchronize.restore = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.resume.disk = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.resume.memory = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.shrink = "FALSE"
tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

rtc.startTime is in seconds from "Jan 1 1970 00:00 UTC"