View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 04:54
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Rcvd at 2 Times in 2 Posts
0xDA7B01 Reputation: 0
(Admittedly my experience is not a lot yet, I'm new to this, but this is what I've learned so far)

I'd say that it depends on what you want to do. Why do you want to reverse in the first place? Are you doing this to learn? For fun? Something else?

If I were you I'd forgo the courses and start simple, from the fundamentals. Assuming you know how to program, the various asm variants (e.g. x86 asm) you can learn as you go by writing simple programs in e.g. C, and tools like Godbolt (godbolt.org) will display you the resulting assembly, and helpfully mark which parts of the assembly map to a given line of code.

It could also be helpful to start with reversing some older programs that interest you (e.g. retro games) using a tool like Ghidra (or IDA if you prefer). Older programs tend to be a bit easier to understand when disassembled IMHO, though that's not always the case. As you start to get a feel for the patterns and calling convention (e.g. how a function is set up in x86 asm on Windows) you can "graduate" to more advanced programs like malware, that use more advanced techniques.

Hope I helped, and most of all, have fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to 0xDA7B01 For This Useful Post:
RAMPage (04-16-2023)