View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 00:01
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks Given: 27
Thanks Rcvd at 59 Times in 36 Posts
Chuck954 Reputation: 11
Best way to add a large block of data into a file to patch it?

I have a program I have been able to crack. I got the dongle off it and it uses a license file to see which options are enabled or disabled at startup. It copies all these options with a 1 or 0 into memory after a certain point (and license has an encryption key so it can't be modified, this has to be done at startup).

I copied this section which is around 18000 bytes and changed all the options into a 1 instead of a 0. I am not sure the best way to add a large section of data into a program without getting any exceptions. It's working now but it triggers a c0000374 when you get to this code. Running under IDA I can just ignore it and it loads and is cracked. Can't start it normally though. I'd like to be able to get it working correctly.

I created a new section in CFF explorer and pasted the data in it. I modified a jump to go to an unused function and changed that code to change the EBP-40 stack pointer so instead of pointing to the old license, it points to the modified one. Then returns and made sure all registers were same.

I believe going to another function to read memory in a different section and manipulating it is triggering this exception. What is the correct way to do something like this?