Thread: X64 inline asm
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 07:50
Zaltekk

The Intel C++ Compiler also has less C++0x support than the latest GCC and MSVC compilers. Also note that you nee MSVC(earlier than 2010) installed to use the Intel compiler on Windows. Even if you don't plan to use Visual Studio integration. It depends on some of the command-line tools and the includes/libraries.

I believe that 11.1 was released in 2009, so hopefully they will release a new version sometime soon that can at least integrate with the new Visual Studio. The C++0x part might not seen too important, but the problem I ran into with it was not being able to use recent GCC headers for TR1 due to the implementations being updated to make use of C++0x features. It isn't fun to lack access to std::tr1::shared_ptr.

I haven't tested the Intel compiler with VS2008 yet as I lost my installation DVD. I _think_ it got TR1 support in a feature pack, but I'm not positive. If it did, I do not know if it makes use of C++0x features that the Intel compiler is missing. Maybe someone else can comment on this aspect.

One last thought: I'm not sure how boost implements shared_ptr, but it is likely very similar to how the new GCC headers implement it. There is a chance, however, that it would compile with the Intel compiler. Myabe someone else can comment on this too.