Friend

Rept. Given: 7
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Rcvd at 5 Times in 4 Posts
MCKSys Argentina Reputation: 0
Exclamation Problem debugging 32 bit system process with Olly

Hi all!

I'm trying to debug a 32 bits SYSTEM process (a service) with Olly 1.10 and Olly 2.01 on Windows 2003 X86.

In Olly 2 the problem arises when trying to attach to the process. It says "attaching" and stays like that forever. I´m using the last version.

Olly 1.10 allows me to attach to the process, but when I put a BP on the process (Any kind of BP: hard-soft, in any module) and the BP trigguers, the GUI freezes. I also tested this with patched versions of Olly 1.10, and I get the same result.
I tried with the 32 bits version of x64_dbg: It attaches well, breaks on the BP's and the GUI responds, BUT it has a weird behaviour. First, It doesn't stop on the BP addr; it stops in the next one. HBPs doesn't stop at all. But the worse thing is when you hit "step into" (F7) or "step over" (F8): it runs like if you've pressed F9. Also, it crashed several times (I'm naking a report to upload it to the x64_dbg forum).

The only solution I found was to use Olly 1.08 or windbg (honestly, I prefer Olly when debugging user mode).

My question is: Have any of you guys faced this situation before? Do you have a different solution from the one I have?

Thanks!

PS: Forgive my bad English. I speak Spanish everyday.
The Following User Says Thank You to MCKSys Argentina For This Useful Post:
Indigo (07-19-2019)