View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 08:29
sgdt

Well, there's the obvious of trapping ASAPI and WNASPI32, or you can create a hidden program to lock removable drives (so no program can access them), trap things like media change in a filter driver, trap MEDIA_TYPE so everything appears either ROM or already burn'd, etc., etc., etc.

Seriously, it's a million times harder to write a program that burns DVDs and CDs than it is to get them Not to work.

But, it brings up two serious questions.

1. Why?

2. Have you taken apart any DVD or CD writing programs? I mean, seriously, just look at their error messages and think "What could have caused THAT???". And then, if it still isn't so obvious, or if you're bored, you can take a look at the APIs they use to get the job done, and then I'm certain you'll think of something.

It's VERY worth noting that, by default, Windows and any future versions of Windows support Burning right from Explorer, no software needed. The same holds true for how that works as any burning software, but I mention it because Burning CDs and DVDs is a good thing. Microsoft probably has more to loose than anyone, yet they seem to embrace the ability for users to burn copies of shiny disks.

But, if you're just keen on knowing how they work, most burning programs are Very easy to figure out.

It's also VERY worth noting that even USB pen drives hold more than DVD-RW now, so if it's just a matter of securing a company PC, you have other fish to fry.

EDIT: Errr, I forgot the most obvious one... Insert one of the numerous copy protected audio CDs, and forget to hold the shift key down...

Last edited by sgdt; 07-12-2006 at 08:41.