View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 21:24
Family

Rept. Given: 64
Rept. Rcvd 80 Times in 43 Posts
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Rcvd at 11 Times in 9 Posts
RedBlkJck Reputation: 80
I'm having a problem with the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH on both 32 & 64 bit. I use a central folder for storing all the symbols that are updated from the MSDN online repository. C:\debug\symbols When using a batch file for setting the srv path or setting it globally in the environment variables, x32_dbg doesn't find the symbols. It's ignoring the path set with _NT_SYMBOL_PATH and only searches for a folder named Symbols in the path of the debugger. C:\debug\x64_dbg\x32\Symbols The folder didn't exist but I've created the folder and tried setting the path there. This made no difference, it won't pulls any symbols from MSDN.

I updated to the current debug tools available from MS, replaced the required files and that made no difference. The only way I can get the symbols to load outside of the debugger path is by creating a hard symbolic folder link named "Symbols" and point it to the central symbols folder.
mklink /J C:\Debug\x64_dbg\x32\Symbols C:\Debug\Symbols
This seems to be working to load from local but it doesn't pull from MSDN. I use the same cmd for setting the env bat file that works for OllyDbg ver 1. Am I missing something?

Here is log entry from a symbol that is not current. This is starting with a batch file and a hard symlink set for the symbol folder. (If no hard symlink, all symbols fail.)
SYMSRV: C:\Debug\x64_dbg\x32\symbols\wininet.pdb\44EB68294B5042CB87A79B41E46A85692\wininet.pdb not found
DBGHELP: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wininet.pdb - file not found
DBGHELP: wininet.pdb - file not found
DBGHELP: wininet - export symbols

Loaded the same app in Ollydbg 1 via srv batch file which updated the symbol from MSDN, now x64_dbg finds the symbol.
DBGHELP: wininet - public symbols
C:\Debug\x64_dbg\x32\symbols\wininet.pdb\44EB68294B5042CB87A79B41E46A85692\wininet.pdb

Idea?
Request - Possible to add setting the local symbol path with an option for using MSDN similar to how Ollydbg 2 does? So no batch file or global var is needed.
Thx - jack