View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 08:40
swarers

Quote:
Originally posted by tom324
swarers,

you are welcome to run your own FTP instead of complaining.

Tom
I would love to, but I don't have the bandwidth and would have to worry somewhat about the federales, nor do I have the cash flow due to medical problems that I can make those go away... I actually have about 4 ftp servers installed on this machine for occasional file sharing purposes, IIS 4 & 5, Xitami, Cygwin/Mingw, and one in Linux... I've some idea what I'm speaking of, and a database way more extensive than what's on this server that I could share; but it has a few things I don't...

My point is if you're going to do something you should be doing it well. Driving is a priviledge most places also, but most places don't put up speed bumps so large it breaks the cars. The current setup penalizes dial-up users out of proportion to protecting the machine from broadband users hogging it. When you spend more time waiting to get on than actual downloading time, that's not working 'fine', it's no work getting done, period, for that time and even when you do get on it ties up your bandwidth so you can get as much as possible before the session times out. i.e., nothing else web related works.

This is constructive criticism, not complaint, as I've offered some low budget ways that this can be addressed. If it's not, no one will have to ban me; once I get the remaining files I have queued up now, I probably won't be back and I won't be around to upload any files either, or other constructive activities. From those that have bothered to vote in the poll I put up and seeing that the ftp problems thread is one of the longer ones, I can see I'm not the only one who's felt some criticism is warranted, and I've not seen any technical reasons in a reply why my suggestions can't be done, including these. Until it is, the problems thread will just get bigger, whether it's me or some other person new to the site doing the posting.