View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 16:27
Banned User

Rept. Given: 384
Rept. Rcvd 247 Times in 112 Posts
Thanks Given: 789
Thanks Rcvd at 2,022 Times in 571 Posts
TechLord Reputation: 200-299 TechLord Reputation: 200-299 TechLord Reputation: 200-299
Quote:
Originally Posted by chants View Post
Just to clarify this a bit further, without "probable cause", you would not be obstructing justice and further this would just be coercion to provide the code would amount to an illegal search. Best response would be to wait for lawyer and follow his advice, hiding behind another person as opposed to directly refusing or lying with temporary forgetfulness.
Cooking up probable casue is pretty easy :
"I smelt weed (marijuana) in your car" so I need to check.. OR

if I put it in ONE sentence : the word of a cop carries FAR higher weight in front of a judge especially when you do not have any witnesses.

They can even shoot you saying that you tried to hit them etc. Without witnesses its VERY tough to prove otherwise.

BOTTOM-LINE: Try not to antagonize cops by saying all those things like probable cause etc

What I used to do in practise was, that IF you really did nothing, generally , its better to be nice to them.

IF you DID do something, then the BEST approach is to say that you need a lawyer. Say NOTHING MORE. And COMPLY with whatever they ask in the meanwhile.

Body cameras etc have limited value.

Trust me. And read the papers if you still doubt me. Some cops even shoot if they "feel threatened" ... A long enquiry follows but at the end of the day someones dead ..

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TechLord For This Useful Post:
chants (07-12-2018), niculaita (07-11-2018)