Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 396
Thanks Rcvd at 10 Times in 7 Posts
binarylaw Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chants View Post
There is a new strange situation where the "Check for Updates" button now no longer does a passive check. But it actively includes you to test week 3, week 4 beta updates which are not released on the normal monthly "Patch Tuesday" cycle. There is a bunch of terminology too around this but the theory is they can beta test using users who are so excited about updates that they actually click the button while most users probably don't ever go there.

Anyway a tool like this will become more and more useful into the future. I had used WSUS Offline Update for a while to try to prevent the big updates from being downloaded separately on multiple machines. Though in the days of internet being more or less limitless, a bigger concern is stability.

See the news article: referencing Microsoft's own blog post on the issue:

And so this is basically new eye opening discussion:
I had no idea about this. Not that I do it myself, of course. I go the other direction and had to finally just disable Windows Update services altogether, so out of control has Microsoft + Windows 10 gotten.

But hearing this about the "beta opt-in" because you clicked check... enrages me. Microsoft needs some worthy competition yesterday. I really wish Linux would pull its pants up and catch up finally.