View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 22:13
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks Given: 27
Thanks Rcvd at 59 Times in 36 Posts
Chuck954 Reputation: 11
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did check out segment flags and tested different ones but it kept having the same problem.

Ideally, I would have used a custom DLL file but I am not familiar enough with writing DLLs yet. It was easiest to simply code a manual patch as the majority of my time has been spent learning low level debugging/assembly skills.

I ended up re-writing the patch after further study of how it gets written into memory. I used the original function that decrypts the license and wrote assembly code to get the address of the new segment with the license, then I just moved the modified license into the correct memory spot. Before I was simply changing the stack pointer to point to the new segment I made and let the original function copy the data itself into memory. Using an assembly to hex converter I just pasted the bytes in and good to go.

I still have more work to do in cleaning it up and making it work for other versions of this software. The good news is that it works now and I am able to start the program up normally with all features unlocked and it didn't crash once yesterday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck954 For This Useful Post:
tonyweb (08-25-2019)