View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 14:03
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Given: 46
Thanks Rcvd at 24 Times in 14 Posts
wild Reputation: 1
Hi, I have registered some time ago, but I haven't introduced myself....
My experience with "modern" SW RE is not so good because I'm an old fart: I started hacking programs several years ago using the Periscope debugger (with the infamous NMI IRQ board/push button made using a scrap PC board) and the Sourcer disassembler. I'm talking about MS-DOS period, just to specify my age!
In those times I was writing some TSR which were able to emulate the protections made with holes in floppy disks*.
Some years later I was using the wonderful SofIce...
I was a member of the Italian forum UIC/Quequero.org but almost stopped to RE programs when the forum changed "direction".
Sometimes I enjoy to unprotect some applications (see some my posts on sonsivri) but except for some rare crack, I am almost inactive.
One of the reasons is because I'm an HW/FW developer on other platforms (ARM/PIC/...) and I have very few time to dedicate to the SW RE hobby.
The same is not for the HW RE: in my work I have to compare device made by other competitors, so I have a rather good experience in this area.

I will not be so active in this forum because as I wrote, my experience in RE modern targets is almost nihil and it will be very difficult I will be able to help other people: I prefer to stay silent instead of saying something stupid!

*) in my favor, I can say that in those old times internet was not available, so you had to make/study/debug/crack/RE all by yourself! Now targets are much more difficult to break, but at least it is easier to find documentation!
The Following User Says Thank You to wild For This Useful Post:
Abaddon (10-12-2018)