View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 01:15
Banned User

Rept. Given: 384
Rept. Rcvd 247 Times in 112 Posts
Thanks Given: 789
Thanks Rcvd at 2,022 Times in 571 Posts
TechLord Reputation: 200-299 TechLord Reputation: 200-299 TechLord Reputation: 200-299
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlingen View Post
NAT is no security feature. You can't just turn it on or off as you like, you either require it or can't use it at all depending on your setup.
Its not a security feature I agree, but you can turn it on or off at various levels (the OS level, commercial Cisco Routers level, Hardware Firewall level etc).

I'm sure you know this bro Kerlingen, but for the sake of some of the others who are following this discussion, would like to highlight an important fact :

Many use VPNs etc and stay smug thinking that they are now more or less anonymous on the internet. All the while keeping their IPv6 Address enabled

When my team is called for an investigation to identify some [cyber] miscreant(s) and we find that the perpetrator used a VPN but kept the IPv6 address enabled, my team guys go out for a beer

Because our job is more or less done and we would have uniquely identified the guy (of course assuming that he didn't spoof it).

SO the take-home lesson from this post :
You cannot assume that you are anonymous online if your IPv6 address is kept enabled !

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to TechLord For This Useful Post:
Indigo (07-19-2019)