View Single Post
Old 02-17-2022, 00:19
Family

Rept. Given: 2
Rept. Rcvd 46 Times in 32 Posts
Thanks Given: 58
Thanks Rcvd at 350 Times in 116 Posts
DavidXanatos Reputation: 46
I have been experimenting with my HackLib with code injection into/from Arm64 processes and noticed something unexpected but in hindsight logic ARM64EC processes are more x64 than arm even if most of their compiled code is arm.
That I mean, when I hijack the main thread before it resumes, and point it to a peace of shell code of mine the shell code must be x64 in order to work.
The funny thing is my shell code loads a dll that hooks then in x64 various functions, for demo purposes for example MessageBoxW and alters its title and all that works as expected.
The ARM64EC app having its main and rest of user written functions being ARM64 code when calling MessageBoxW invoked the hooked x64 version just fine.
To be honest I would have expected a shorthand here where the arm code calls system API's directly, but no the control flow goes from Arm64 to the x64 stub which can be hooked and then back to Arm64 code in the system\user32.dll that is pretty nice. And in a way logical that a process that is supposed to be able to load native x64 dll's would for ideal compatibility have provisions to allow that dll to consistently hook functions even if that means a few more detours are taken.

Now about cross architecture code injection (assuming shell code and injected dll have the right architecture):
Code injection from an arm64 process into an x64 or arm64ec process works just fine using x64 code

What how ever currently fails is code injection from a x64 or arm64ec process into a arm64 process and it seams for a quite mundane reason, NtSetContextThread when called from a x64 process to act upon a arm64 process, returns STATUS_SET_CONTEXT_DENIED
I expect would the operation have been performed, the rest would succeed.

Since arm64 to arm64 injection using the same method works just fine I expert this being som sort of intentional limitation, perhaps not even a real security measure but rather a safeguard against screwing things up.

So the question, did anyone here already experienced this and would know if there is a easy way around, short of native arm64 spawning a helper process just to do that one function call.
The Following User Gave Reputation+1 to DavidXanatos For This Useful Post:
user1 (04-12-2022)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidXanatos For This Useful Post:
niculaita (02-17-2022), user1 (04-12-2022)