VIP

Rept. Given: 27
Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Rcvd at 10 Times in 9 Posts
aldente Reputation: 7
Angry SoftIce kills Mouse

Hello!

SoftIce 4.3 (from the newest DriverSuite) still kills my mouse.

It is a USB Mouse with PS/2 adapter.

When I enable Mouse USB patching (== unchecking "Disable USB Mouse patching") and start softice, it even kills my USB keyboard.

Well, it's a bit hard to work without mouse (and keyboard).

A restart is necessary for getting mouse to work.

System is XP.

What the hell is the problem?
Old 08-26-2003, 02:09
ysco

I have the intelli explorer mouse with also PS/2 adapter but i have it sometimes that it hangs but not much.
I have a problem with my keyboard if i hit the F12 button more then twice then the whole system hangs and a restart is neccesary then.And the new version won`t break correctly this version sucks i whas happy because finaly my mouse worked but if it don`t break it is useless.I will install 4.05 again because that version breaks correctly.

ysco.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:54
Satyric0n

Quote:
Originally posted by ysco
I have the intelli explorer mouse with also PS/2 adapter but i have it sometimes that it hangs but not much.
I have a problem with my keyboard if i hit the F12 button more then twice then the whole system hangs and a restart is neccesary then.And the new version won`t break correctly this version sucks i whas happy because finaly my mouse worked but if it don`t break it is useless.I will install 4.05 again because that version breaks correctly.

ysco.
This version does break correctly. You just have to set your breakpoints while in the appropriate address context. Read the DS3 not breaking thread for more details.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:34
Drunken Squirrel

Rept. Given: 4
Rept. Rcvd 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Squidge Reputation: 9
Is it only me that thinks the new Softice is better than the old one? I prefer SoftIce only breaking when the relevent app is running rather than any process in the system, but everyone else seem to want it to break regardless.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:43
Satyric0n

Quote:
Originally posted by Squidge
Is it only me that thinks the new Softice is better than the old one? I prefer SoftIce only breaking when the relevent app is running rather than any process in the system, but everyone else seem to want it to break regardless.
No, I agree with you completely. I don't see why I would want any process other than the one I'm actually trying to debug to break.

Another great thing about the new version is that I can finally use my (USB) mouse in SoftICE again!

I've been playing around with Visual SoftICE a bit... I tried it over null modem serial cable first, way too slow! I tried over ethernet next, much better speed. All in all it's.. interesting... Haven't made up my mind whether I like it or not yet. Anyone else try Visual SI yet?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:18
ysco

The problem that i have is that if is set a breakpoint on the desired app and close Ice and try to register the desired prog then normaly ice popup again and set the breakpoint but it doens`t popup anymore but the 4.05 version does that correctly thats the problem i have with the new version and many others to.

But my mouse works with this version

ysco.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:27
Satyric0n

Quote:
Originally posted by ysco
The problem that i have is that if is set a breakpoint on the desired app and close Ice and try to register the desired prog then normaly ice popup again and set the breakpoint but it doens`t popup anymore but the 4.05 version does that correctly thats the problem i have with the new version and many others to.
This means that you are doing something wrong, not that there is something wrong with SoftICE. Look in the SoftICE Command Reference at the ATTACH and ADDR commands.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:10
gorge

Re: SoftIce kills Mouse

Quote:
Originally posted by Big_or_what
Hello!

SoftIce 4.3 (from the newest DriverSuite) still kills my mouse.

It is a USB Mouse with PS/2 adapter.

When I enable Mouse USB patching (== unchecking "Disable USB Mouse patching") and start softice, it even kills my USB keyboard.

Well, it's a bit hard to work without mouse (and keyboard).

A restart is necessary for getting mouse to work.

System is XP.

What the hell is the problem?
Did you try 4.5?
Old 08-28-2003, 21:22
VIP

Rept. Given: 27
Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Rcvd at 10 Times in 9 Posts
aldente Reputation: 7
gorge, there is no 4.5, only 4.05.

since this is even older and does not support xp
natively, i don't expect it to work!
Old 08-31-2003, 18:10
StoppTidigare

Hi all I am new in this forum, and also a beginner in using SoftICE 4.05, which I use under Win98.

I wonder why I cannot use my mouse in windows as soon as I launch SoftICE. Is it as it should ?

I want to start up a windows program after I've started up softICE, isn't it the way one wporks with it ?

Kindest,

StoppTidigare
Old 09-01-2003, 04:04
Satyric0n

Why would you use SoftICE 4.05? That is a very old version... Use SoftICE Driver Studio 2.7 instead. That is the newest version that will work with Win98.
Old 09-03-2003, 16:13
3boy

the ps/2 is ok,but usb is not in he softsuite3.0.1,why?

????