Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-17-2004, 23:02
Nilrem

The Factor Theorem

Hi, I'm having some problems with the Factor Theorem, I use the long division method, but then after that I can't get the other two factors (I don't want to use the quadratic equation -b + or - the square root of b^2 - 4ac divided by 2), I want to use another way, it is supposed to be much simpler, but I never learnt it. Please help a.s.a.p, this work has to be in by tomorrow.

Edit: - Just figured it out within 2 minutes of making this topic, however I'd still like a technical explanation please.

Last edited by Nilrem; 03-17-2004 at 23:09.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:39
Wurstgote

Concerning what you've written, I suppose you're trying to solve an algebraic equation of degree 3... something like
ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0.
Right so far [If not, proceed to[*]]?
I don't know what the 'long division method' is, but it looks as if you know something about one of the polynomial's zeroes.
By using Euclidian division, you can split that zero off the polynomial and as a result, you'll get a polynomial of degree 2.
That would be easy to solve... but for some reason, you don't like it that way
Never mind, if you're looking for a 'closed' formula, you should try to do a search on a guy named 'Gerolamo Cardano' or 'Geroliamo Cardano'.
He's figured out how to solve that kind of stuff.
For a good explanation, take a look at
hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_equation
But... it's not that funny...
[*] Sorry, I've not the slightest idea what's this thread about... I apologize ;-)

Regards
Wurstgote
Old 03-18-2004, 18:00
Nilrem

Thanks Wurstgote for the feedback, I'll take a look, hope my head doesn't explode.