Rept. Rcvd 11 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks Given: 52
Thanks Rcvd at 71 Times in 45 Posts
Aaron Reputation: 11
Talking Happy new year to all members!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!
Old 01-27-2003, 13:47
swarers

It would be a lot happier if you reconfigure the ftp per the suggestions in the Announcements forum, or are you too technically illiterate to accomplish this?? Personally, I'd be too embarassed to have such a site available to the public...
Old 01-28-2003, 18:40
Drunken Squirrel

Rept. Given: 4
Rept. Rcvd 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Squidge Reputation: 9
Well, swarers, if I was Aaron, I'd just ban you from the board.

There's nothing wrong with the ftp site as it is - remember that this ftp site is a priviledge, not a right...
Old 01-28-2003, 21:45
Friend

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Rcvd at 27 Times in 16 Posts
tom324 Reputation: 7
swarers,

you are welcome to run your own FTP instead of complaining.

Tom
Old 01-30-2003, 08:40
swarers

Quote:
Originally posted by tom324
swarers,

you are welcome to run your own FTP instead of complaining.

Tom
I would love to, but I don't have the bandwidth and would have to worry somewhat about the federales, nor do I have the cash flow due to medical problems that I can make those go away... I actually have about 4 ftp servers installed on this machine for occasional file sharing purposes, IIS 4 & 5, Xitami, Cygwin/Mingw, and one in Linux... I've some idea what I'm speaking of, and a database way more extensive than what's on this server that I could share; but it has a few things I don't...

My point is if you're going to do something you should be doing it well. Driving is a priviledge most places also, but most places don't put up speed bumps so large it breaks the cars. The current setup penalizes dial-up users out of proportion to protecting the machine from broadband users hogging it. When you spend more time waiting to get on than actual downloading time, that's not working 'fine', it's no work getting done, period, for that time and even when you do get on it ties up your bandwidth so you can get as much as possible before the session times out. i.e., nothing else web related works.

This is constructive criticism, not complaint, as I've offered some low budget ways that this can be addressed. If it's not, no one will have to ban me; once I get the remaining files I have queued up now, I probably won't be back and I won't be around to upload any files either, or other constructive activities. From those that have bothered to vote in the poll I put up and seeing that the ftp problems thread is one of the longer ones, I can see I'm not the only one who's felt some criticism is warranted, and I've not seen any technical reasons in a reply why my suggestions can't be done, including these. Until it is, the problems thread will just get bigger, whether it's me or some other person new to the site doing the posting.
Old 01-30-2003, 16:28
Friend

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Rcvd at 27 Times in 16 Posts
tom324 Reputation: 7
I have been Unix/Linux administrator for almost 7 years, so I also know something about FTP servers.

Fine tuning FTP server settings will help but a little. As soon as changes in settings have been done, traffic will increase, and it will end up same as before.

The real solution is to have more FTP servers like exletols so people will not depend upon one. It takes money and other resources to run a server for large traffic and that is why people should respect those ones who run a server.

Tom
Old 02-01-2003, 09:48
tehk

Talking how rude...

...happy new year's last day of the first month
Old 02-02-2003, 21:33
R@dier

Gong Xi Fa Cai

Old 02-10-2003, 12:15
bruise

about the FTP active mode

Swarers:
Though i've never been able to access the ftp since mode changed from PASV to ACTIVE, i could live with it since i could still find the same staff from other sites(though more time need). And I could understand the reason:

this FTP might behind a firewall with could not recognize passive FTP flow state(see RFC), so change pasv to active is much easier than to change the firewall :-)

Anyway, this is good site out of unpaid hard work, we should respect those who works.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:49
swarers

Re: about the FTP active mode

Quote:
Originally posted by bruise
Swarers:
Though i've never been able to access the ftp since mode changed from PASV to ACTIVE, i could live with it since i could still find the same staff from other sites(though more time need). And I could understand the reason:

this FTP might behind a firewall with could not recognize passive FTP flow state(see RFC), so change pasv to active is much easier than to change the firewall :-)
Well, I can understand about the firewall, and the multiple login types; is more a nuisance to reconfigure downloader just for this site... My main point is that a single dial-up user that does connect now uses only a fraction of the bandwidth allocated to each IP and is locking out 8 or so other dial-up users who could be using that extra bandwidth. For example, if there's a 10 logins max now, splitting off 5 of them would allow 45-50 IPs to get on, with a lower ceiling, and still leave 5 that have the high ceiling; i.e. your chance of getting an open slot, and thus some work done, increases a good deal having two download logins, without increasing the maximum traffic burden on the server. My guess is, based on the number of forum browsers at any one time, that there would be some unused slots all the time with that many, and could relax the retry delay and blocking restrictions for the slow login accordingly.

Oh well, except for the VS package, I was able to get on enough for the stuff I wanted... will look about elsewhere for that...

Cheers, and belated Happy Chinese New Years too...