Notices

Old 10-03-2016, 14:16
Friend

Rept. Given: 2
Rept. Rcvd 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Rcvd at 19 Times in 8 Posts
cybercoder Reputation: 11
I do kinda see a lot of that here, people sharing tools and being given reputation points thus giving them attachment privileges, which would be fine if it wasn't someone elses crack or work..
Old 10-03-2016, 15:16
VIP

Rept. Given: 365
Rept. Rcvd 174 Times in 75 Posts
Thanks Given: 480
Thanks Rcvd at 874 Times in 222 Posts
TechLord Reputation: 100-199 TechLord Reputation: 100-199
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom0s View Post
Not trying to start any drama, however based on how the last few months new members have been, it seems a lot of people joining now are just leechers that want download access. Nearly none of the new members have actually posted/contributed anything and disregard the rules in terms of asking for things that they shouldn't.

Just seems like all the new people are not quality members.
Sorry everyone but with all due respect to the Senior Mods, I must agree on this with @AtomOs.

They key points being that :

1. They just want DOWNLOAD access...

2. "Nearly none of the new members have actually posted/contributed anything"

3. "disregard the rules in terms of asking for things that they shouldn't"

4. They just get download privileges and then take stuff from here and share on THEIR forums without permission - this seems quite a trend with new members.

5. They simply BAN the members who report (to exetools) that they steal stuff from here and post on THEIR forums, without any explantion or anything !

If I should summarize it in ONE sentence :

Less than ONE percent of the new members, even counting from the last 18 months) have contributed ANYTHING significant at all..

YES, I know that I am again going to turn out to be the "bad guy" but just had to say this... Just don't go back and BAN me on your forums again

I hope more SCREENING would be done before accepting members...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TechLord For This Useful Post:
atom0s (10-03-2016), Sound (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 20:33
Super Moderator

Rept. Given: 475
Rept. Rcvd 1,153 Times in 308 Posts
Thanks Given: 73
Thanks Rcvd at 425 Times in 168 Posts
mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299
@TechLord I understand your point of view but making change happen in a 15 year old community is not easy. Lots of member from 2002 'earned' their VIP/Senior privileges by posting quality content when they didn't have kids and lots of time to play around in. Should we take away their earned 'status' because they hardly contribute anymore?

The struggle continues with new members, somehow we have to make sure they make 'worthy' contributions to the forum. When I was 15 I didn't have much sensible to contribute but I really wanted to help people out. Probably there are some people that just want to repost things to their forums but we cannot fully isolate the community from new members just because some of them ruin it for the rest.

Like I said we do 'screening', in fact the community can be involved in that, see http://forum.exetools.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 but enforcing rules is not easy and while I check all new posts every day and try to real all of them it is really hard to judge their quality properly.

Again, if you see a post that you think is against the rules or bad quality content click the report button and it will be evaluated. The reputation button is something that can improve the forum and which members get download rights as well. It used to be 30 post which encouraged posting crap but now your posts have to be of substance to actually get anywhere. One percent of members contributing is actually pretty good seeing where we came from
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr.exodia For This Useful Post:
bolo2002 (10-04-2016), Giotis (10-04-2016), TechLord (10-03-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 04:26
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Rcvd at 13 Times in 4 Posts
Giotis Reputation: 2
@TechLord here's my perspective as a new member:
I know i haven't contributed anything of value and my guess is that it will take a while to do so. I guess that it would be great for everyone if the return value of my acceptance as a member was skyrocketing right after my first login but it's certainly not the case, at least not for me. And to be frank, i don't believe that's an reasonable expectation.
So, what's the point of me being here you may ask and you'll be right. All i got is this: Learning. And familiarizing with you guys.
What's in it for you and all the experienced members? Nothing at all, probably more noise in a thread you participate/read. However, the noise should not be of a high volume due to the rules i had to agree before signing and the "no-second-thought" ban i'll get as a newbie, if i break them. What else may be in for you; If you have some spare time to help a promising newbie, a teaching experience of some sort, should you choose to do it. Bottom line, it's both a bet and some inconvenience for you (and by "you" a mean all old members).
But look at the bigger picture if you may: Maybe 1 out of 10 new members turns out to be a member worth having. Maybe 1 out of 40. Is that ratio acceptable? No idea, probably the mods will decide this.
Obviously, there are new members who go straight for the download access, no doubt about it. I'm not going to elaborate on that since i am 100% with you.
Just my 2c.
Cheers
The Following 2 Users Gave Reputation+1 to Giotis For This Useful Post:
mr.exodia (10-04-2016), TechLord (10-04-2016)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giotis For This Useful Post:
Hypnz (10-05-2016), ZeNiX (10-11-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 17:27
VIP

Rept. Given: 365
Rept. Rcvd 174 Times in 75 Posts
Thanks Given: 480
Thanks Rcvd at 874 Times in 222 Posts
TechLord Reputation: 100-199 TechLord Reputation: 100-199
@Giotis :

As a starter, You just got my WELCOME Rep from me for your USEFUL POST

Just so that we are all clear, I am not a "dictator-type" or "BAD-guy" who think that those who do not contribute are "useless" to the forum and are to be gotten rid...

I know PRACTICALLY, that as our respected MOD Mr. Exodia put it, the "old members" cannot contribute as much, when they have kids and a family to look after.

Even I could not contribute for almost 10 years at a stretch, till my children (now grown-up) went abroad to study, leaving me with far less responsibilities..

If I try to put my thoughts into as concise form as possible, I would say that that there are 3 kinds of members (I am NOT counting "old members " in this at all) :

1. New members who are PASSIVE for long periods of time - they simply search the forum, accumulate knowledge but do NOT contribute to THIS forum, for whatever maybe the reason.

2. New members who get download rights and then take material OUTSIDE of the forum and upload it elsewhere , to get a few reps etc and also do NOT contribute anything to THIS forum.

3. New members who join here and post all sorts of unwanted material ("crap" as Mr Exodia puts it)

These members are just childish, do not want to learn the "ways of the forum" BEFORE posting, and only when they get IGNORED by the existing members OR when they are FLAMED, then they sit back and go into isolation (stop posting).

These members, if DISGRUNTLED due to the flaming by the existing members, MAY, after getting download rights, take exetools-exclusive material OUT OF the forum and post it everywhere, as a form of rather "cheap" show of insubordinance or "defiance" of the forum's "rules" just the way an adolescent kid does to his parents at certain times...

I, and I believe many of the guys here who are "against" new members , suspect that they are MAINLY against the Type (2) guys cited above. They are the "harmful" type...

They cause "regret " in members who have shared stuff meant EXCLUSIVELY for this forum - like our friend Ms Fyyre here above and could very well lead to the mebers STOPPING their shares altogether, for fear of getting it leaked outside the forum.

The MAIN fear of getting material leaked outside this forum would be, that the "cracks" or "exploits" etc would quickly get patched as soon as the original authors/developers get wind of the vuln in their app...

THAT is the main reason why I am against material leaving THIS forum and getting posted everywhere...

I tend to be the Type (1) in many forums - especially when I was having kids and a full-blown extended family to look after, during the past 10 years...

To be clear @Giotis, you are NOT one of the members that I was referring to or commenting about, in my earlier posts in this thread.

In other words, as long as the "new members" do not cause harm to the forum in any way, am sure that NO ONE, including me, would have anything against them...

In fact, if I put it this way, this whole topic of "NEW MEMBERS" being a problem , was brought up in this METASPLOIT thread because, someone LEAKED the exploit OUTSIDE this forum - which later (I am sure) would result in the Metasploit guys getting hold of the CODE and patching up the VULN !!!!

I hope that NOW Mr Exodia and also all the others know what EXACTLY I am trying to say - I am NOT against new members, am just against the "harm-causing" ones.

P.S :

Wanted to add - Am not totally against it if someone wants to take "tools" or maybe tuts (my personal opinion, by the way) out of the forum - to share in their "own" forums.

Its only when things like EXPLOITS or UNPACKERS or stuff like that EXCLUSIVE to this forum (ie. generated or created by members here) is taken out, that there is a FAR GREATER propensity for it to catch the eyes of the original developers of the [victim] app - leading to them patching it very soon !

Last edited by TechLord; 10-04-2016 at 17:42.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TechLord For This Useful Post:
foosaa (10-18-2016), Fyyre (10-19-2016), Giotis (10-04-2016), p4r4d0x (01-18-2017), ZeNiX (10-11-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 21:58
Super Moderator

Rept. Given: 475
Rept. Rcvd 1,153 Times in 308 Posts
Thanks Given: 73
Thanks Rcvd at 425 Times in 168 Posts
mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299 mr.exodia Reputation: 1100-1299
@Techlord I agree with you almost completely except for the part where the new members who just got download rights are the ones responsible for the leaks. New members have to get at least 30 reputation points before they get download rights and almost nobody has this. In this case it was leaked in private circles by (probably) an older member...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr.exodia For This Useful Post:
SKiLLa (10-30-2016), TechLord (10-04-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 14:55
Family

Rept. Given: 11
Rept. Rcvd 69 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks Given: 37
Thanks Rcvd at 162 Times in 45 Posts
mudlord Reputation: 69
Quote:
I guess that it would be great for everyone if the return value of my acceptance as a member was skyrocketing right after my first login but it's certainly not the case, at least not for me. And to be frank, i don't believe that's an reasonable expectation.
I can claim BS on that. If you put in your effort and try to contribute reasonable material, you can be respected back, that is exactly what happened for me. I tried my best to be a decent human being and give what I thought was useful to the forum. And I still intend to do that.

Quote:
So, what's the point of me being here you may ask and you'll be right. All i got is this: Learning. And familiarizing with you guys.
That though is a perfectly reasonable way of thinking and way to do things Majority of new users don't even want to do that
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28
Friend

Rept. Given: 3
Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Rcvd at 7 Times in 2 Posts
nikor Reputation: 7
Nice share, sorry to hear it was leaked outside of the community. With all the RE communities that have come and gone, I'm really glad to see that exetools is still around and upholds their values.

Last edited by nikor; 01-13-2017 at 08:48.