Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 17:53
Banned User

Rept. Given: 384
Rept. Rcvd 247 Times in 112 Posts
Thanks Given: 789
Thanks Rcvd at 2,021 Times in 570 Posts
TechLord Reputation: 200-299 TechLord Reputation: 200-299 TechLord Reputation: 200-299
Largest FREE Microsoft eBook Giveaway

Largest FREE Microsoft eBook Giveaway :

Get them HERE .
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TechLord For This Useful Post:
cjack (07-17-2017), Naides (07-14-2017), ph03n1x (07-26-2017), Stingered (12-30-2017), tonyweb (07-17-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 22:50
Friend

Rept. Given: 6
Rept. Rcvd 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Rcvd at 19 Times in 14 Posts
xobor Reputation: 5
thanks TechLord,

do you have some knowledge how long will lasts this giveaway? it's pretty too much ebooks just to check not even to download - it will take some time, I think
Old 07-15-2017, 17:00
Banned User

Rept. Given: 384
Rept. Rcvd 247 Times in 112 Posts
Thanks Given: 789
Thanks Rcvd at 2,021 Times in 570 Posts
TechLord Reputation: 200-299 TechLord Reputation: 200-299 TechLord Reputation: 200-299
Quote:
Originally Posted by xobor View Post
thanks TechLord,

do you have some knowledge how long will lasts this giveaway? it's pretty too much ebooks just to check not even to download - it will take some time, I think
I am not sure actually..

But from the first couple paragraphs there on the webpage I gather that its going to stay up for a while and I also get the impression that certain books could be selectively continue to be kept or removed from that list as per the authors' or vendors' wishes ...

I agree with you that there ar etoo many to download. In fact I could not get time to download even ONE of the books from the list these 2 days

Excerpts from the first 2 paragraphs there :

Quote:
It’s that time of year again, and today I am kicking off my annual FREE MICROSOFT EBOOK GIVEAWAY extravaganza! And this time, I’m posting MORE FREE EBOOKS in this post than I ever have in any of my previous giveaways! Based on this, you will notice something different about this year’s post… In previous years, I included images of the eBook covers next to each item; however, I would also get feedback from people on the amount of time to load all of the images. So, this year I decided to streamline the list to make it easier to get to the eBooks you want. You will now find a simple list, organized by category, with the download links in the Format column so you can choose which format you want to download.

If you have been a follower of mine in the past, you know that several years ago I tried a simple concept: Let’s try giving away a bunch of free eBooks, reference guides, Step-By-Step Guides, and other informational resources to our customers and partners around the world. Needless to say, the concept was extremely the first year (over 1,000,000 FREE eBooks downloaded), and it has grown and grown over the past few years (over 3.5 Million downloaded three years ago and we surpassed that by a lot last year!) So, how many FREE eBooks can we give away this year? That is completely up to you
As you can all see, the books are of pretty good quality, which is why I decided to post the link ...
The Following User Says Thank You to TechLord For This Useful Post:
xobor (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 16:01
VIP

Rept. Given: 332
Rept. Rcvd 223 Times in 115 Posts
Thanks Given: 234
Thanks Rcvd at 512 Times in 288 Posts
sendersu Reputation: 200-299 sendersu Reputation: 200-299 sendersu Reputation: 200-299
its too late for MS to open up the books
all the world is moving to opensource/Linux/etc so these guys are pretty late.....
Old 07-18-2017, 19:55

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Rcvd at 0 Times in 0 Posts
xiaohang99 Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendersu View Post
all the world is moving to opensource/Linux/etc so these guys are pretty late.....
yes , it's true ,may of my coworker were moving to Linux/Android ,but I decide moving to Unix/OS X
Old 07-19-2017, 01:45
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Rcvd at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Upz Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendersu View Post
I do not consider this a complete truth. As opensource / linux options have improved greatly in recent years and are currently completely acceptable options for businesses and home users. At the business level I think the opensource options are the reality, among the various reasons is the cost. Already for the standard home user is still far from Microsoft losing its reign. Obviously its not more like in the 90's, the production of mutilplatform programs changed the game, but the breadth and mastery of microsoft is still sovereign.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:43
VIP

Rept. Given: 35
Rept. Rcvd 48 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks Given: 666
Thanks Rcvd at 1,050 Times in 475 Posts
chants Reputation: 48
MS has totally changed directions under the latest CEO. This whole discussion is a bit off topic but I do not think people are moving in any globally meaningful terms (and here is the obvious evidence):

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
Quote:
https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
Windows has a lot of merits and positives from a consistent and well implemented UI and API behind that UI, to integration between phone and desktop (though the new direction killed their phone hardware nearly completely).

VS is already C++14 and will be C++17 compliant by years end albeit with a different toolset.

I consider the proficient developer to have a mastery of both Windows and Linux as platforms and ability to write portable solutions be they simply in Java or .NET achieving portability via money or requiring conditional compilation techniques in C/C++.

The problem is this is just opinion and comparing platforms and application stacks and operating systems is too complex to get anywhere but endless debates of nitpicks and biases. So take everything here with a grain of salt.
The Following User Says Thank You to chants For This Useful Post:
athapa (11-17-2017)