Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 11-22-2002, 01:11
Dr Apocalypse

EXE tagger for branding executables?

How or what do I use to put an ASCII logo and text into an executable and still keep it executable? Some groups do this to identify their work, I think they make it the first section or put it in the PE header or something?

How do I do the same thing?

Any suggestions please!

DrA.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:41
Dr Apocalypse

16 views and no reply

Is the question too difficult for you 'experts' or is this the wrong forum to ask questions that require a bit of thought

Ho Hum, sorry to have bothered you!

DrA.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:41
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
nino Reputation: 2
If you just want to insert a String into the executable use an hex editor. Of course the string can only be seen by others with an hex viewer. What you probably want is to modify the behavior of the program so that it shows you something personalized before its regular running. For this you need a packer. I have never used packers so I don't know if there's one that allows customization. Otherwise you need to create one yourself, which is not too hard if you know the PE format and assembly language.
If you just want your logo to be seen just change the icon with a resource editor. Besides, IMHO most groups don't alter the executable they just add an .nfo file with ascii logo and text and zip both together.
Old 12-08-2002, 20:17
XCURSiON

I think what he means is some tools ie PEditor brand the exe after you use it on them like if you edit the OEP with PEditor when you open it in a Hex Editor it will say Edited By PEditor etc... correct me if im wrong
Old 12-11-2002, 12:34
Dr Apocalypse

Some replies at last

You're nearly there XCURSiON. If you've seen any NoCD patches by a group called GIMPSRUS, you'll see they brand their EXE's with an ASCII logo so when you open it in HIEW or any other Hex Ed, you'll see the inserted logo, that's what I'm looking for, a way to do that!

DrA.