Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 09-01-2004, 15:38
adkiller

strcpy in MT apps leaks memory?

I was at an interview last friday for a CPP job.

The guy conducting the interview asked me how proficient I was with MSVC. He then later asked me about what problems are there when using strcpy in a MT (Multi-Threaded) app?

I said none, it can be used as nomal. He said no, strcpy produces memory leaks when used in a MT app and he claimed that MS recommends using the Win32 API StrCpy instead of the STDC strcpy function. He said MS did this on purpose to force devs to use the Win32 equivalent.

Is this true for MSVC6? Is there any way for me to verify this accurately in MSVC 7.1?
Old 09-01-2004, 20:46
VIP

Rept. Given: 142
Rept. Rcvd 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks Given: 169
Thanks Rcvd at 130 Times in 43 Posts
TQN Reputation: 20
No, he wrong 100%. strcpy and StrCpy (in ShlWApi.dll) did not have any problems in Multithread or Single Thread mode. They are only a rep movsd or rep stosd, and do not allocate or free any memory. It is same for RtlMoveMemory in NTDLL.dll. You can view the source code of strcpy in your VC crt\src folder.
TQN
Old 09-01-2004, 23:45
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
Then it would appear that it was the interviewer's memory which was "leaking."

Regards,
Old 09-01-2004, 23:59
lifewire

the StrCpyW i have in shlwapi.dll is indeed a very simple memory copy until 0 (not really a rep movsd as said above, but something like it). and actually, i can't imagine a way why a memoryleak would ever occur in such a function. strange hoax, imho.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:44
Sergey Nameless

This is what MS says about StrCpy:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/shlwapi/string/strcpy.asp

Security Alert Using this function incorrectly can compromise the security of your application. The first argument, psz1, must be large enough to hold psz2 and the closing '\0', otherwise a buffer overrun may occur. Buffer overruns may lead to a denial of service attack against the application if an access violation occurs. In the worst case, a buffer overrun may allow an attacker to inject executable code into your process, especially if psz1 is a stack-based buffer. Consider using one of the following alternatives: StringCbCopy, StringCbCopyEx, StringCbCopyN, StringCbCopyNEx, StringCchCopy, StringCchCopyEx, StringCchCopyN, or StringCchCopyNEx. You should review Security Considerations: Microsoft Windows Shell before continuing.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:15
Perdition

In my opinion it's a retarded question for an interview anyway and you're probably better off not working for them. They should rather test your skill at coding than ask superfluous questions. I reckon the interviewer just has a big ego and his head stuck up his ass
Old 09-02-2004, 04:06
lifewire

also his "conspiracy theory" that it would have been done to force people use the api version shows that you are better off if you didn't get the job