Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-31-2003, 19:59
ysco

Question about Ds 3.0

Hello guys firts off all i am still a newbie at this trying hard to learn something.

I have a question about DS 3.0 about breaking.
This is my problem normaly i load a program in the symbol loader and then set the breakpoint on that proggie without any problems.
But sometimes it won`t work true the symbol loader (it depense on the program that i wanna crack)

So then i must load the desired proggie before the registration screen and hit control D so then i see this:

Sample:
(Dispatch)-KTEB (8054A6A0) -TID(0000)- hal .text+7BA9

20769000 85E4B640 04F8 Brazip

23725000 85AC3020 077C bflite

*00039000 8054A900 0000 Idle

The line i wanna use is bflite, but it always starts this way on idle.
How do i get the * on the desired proggie to set the breakpoint correctly.

I know that you must use ATTACH but i can get it done stupid huh.

So if anyone can let me see how the correct line is how to use ATTACH with this sample above so that the * is on bflite because thats the proggie i wanna set the breakpoint.

Thanks in advance.

ysco.

Last edited by ysco; 08-31-2003 at 20:02.
Old 08-31-2003, 23:31
Drunken Squirrel

Rept. Given: 4
Rept. Rcvd 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Squidge Reputation: 9
Why not use Ollydbg instead? SoftIce certainly has it's uses, but for most programs I find Ollydbg more than sufficient (and far more user friendly).
Old 09-01-2003, 01:49
ysco

I have also Ollydbg but can it set also breakpoints like in Ice ????
Is it easy to set a breakpoint with Ollydbg or is it more difficult .
I have seen that you can set some breakpoints with Ollydbg but i never used them will try it also and see if it is easy to use.
I still wanna know the Ice setting so if anyone can tell me how to use please do.

Thanks.

ysco.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:03
Lunar_Dust

Olly is actually more useful for a lot of things - its easy to set breakpoints. Just right click, and say "Go To->Expression", and type in the name of the API you want. Make sure to get capitalization right. For example, GetCommandLineA. THen it will take you to the API. Press F2 to set a breakpoint there. ALthough I would recommend setting the breakpoint down a little farther since some programs check for breakpoints (int3 instructions, or "CC" byte) on API's.

Also, in softICE, i've never seen the ATTACH command, must be new for SI 3.0? Anyway, I just use the ADDR command. Just type "ADDR bflite" and you'll now be in its address context and can set breakpoints like you wish.

-Lunar

Last edited by Lunar_Dust; 09-01-2003 at 03:05.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:11
Satyric0n

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunar_Dust
Also, in softICE, i've never seen the ATTACH command, must be new for SI 3.0? Anyway, I just use the ADDR command. Just type "ADDR bflite" and you'll now be in its address context and can set breakpoints like you wish.
Yes, ATTACH is new in DS 3.0. Basically, doing ATTACH <process> makes SoftICE automatically do ADDR <process> every time you Ctrl+D. That way you dont have to do ADDR over and over. Very convenient.

Also, I agree about Olly. I rarely use SoftICE any more, Olly has become sufficient for most cases.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:02
ysco

Thanks guys will try it

ysco.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:15
ysco

Hmm don`t work in ice.

I hit control D type addr i see the proggie but ice is still *idle now i type addr bflite but nothing has changed the text is blue but without the * so it is still not on the right place and a breakpoint is still not working because it stays idle ;(
Any tips.

Thanks.

ysco.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:32
Lunar_Dust

typing addr will not make the * move, but it still does put you in the right address context. Alternatively, you can also use addr with the process'es process ID (third column I believe), just type addr <process iD>. However, softice will not update the * , but it will switch context.

-Lunar