Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 06-11-2005, 18:02
just4urim

Cool Windows Logo testing Warning for my driver

Hi

I recieve the following warning message when i want to install my driver on Win XP :

The software you are installing for this hardware :
MyFSFilter Class
has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compability
with Windows XP

Consider that my driver package containes :
MySys.sys ---> is my driver
MyInf.inf ---> my INF file to install the driver
MyCat.cat ---> is my catalog file
MyIns.bat ---> a bat file which uses the following command line to install the INF file : rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 .\MyInf.inf

All of my files has been signed . but i don't have the "WHQL Digital ignature" , does it cause the problem ? Is there any solution to ignore this option ? or may be some special setting in INF/Cat file could solve the problem ? !
I read all the MSDN and IFS kit , but i didnt find anything to over come this warning...
Old 06-11-2005, 18:23
Baxter

This should fix this annoying problem..

Go to Control panel > system > hardware, and select Driver signing. Choose "Ignore"

Let me know if that fixed it.

Cheers

Baxter
Old 06-12-2005, 02:51
e.b

Hi,

maybe:
hxxp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293765&Product=winxp

>>RESOLUTION
>>Depending on your needs, there are two ways to prevent Setup from being >>halted with this warning message:
>>• Set DriverSigningPolicy to ignore in Unattend.txt.
>>This entry causes unsigned installs to silently succeed.
>>• Set UnattendMode to fullunattended in Unattend.txt.
>>This entry causes unsigned installs to silently fail, unless DriverSigningPolicy is >>set to ignore in the Unattend.txt file.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:46
just4urim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter
This should fix this annoying problem..

Go to Control panel > system > hardware, and select Driver signing. Choose "Ignore"
Let me know if that fixed it.

Cheers
Baxter
Tnx for ur advice , sure it fix the problem (and i test it) . but i prefer not to change the user system setting . I tried some other ways too and one of them that properly solve my problem, was making a little modification in INF file . i had specified a "System Defined ClassGuid" for my driver and when i comment it in my INF file , installation works without any warning! (with system default setting)
I can't understand what's the benefits of the CAT file in driver package ?!

BestRegard
Old 07-02-2005, 03:16
md5

Well, to be honest, you must change the system setting so that the warnings are not shown. Your driver is not signed by Microsoft, which means that Windows will keep throwing the warning for the system's protection (so that no rogue drivers are installed). That's a security measure and I'm glad it's there... I wouldn't like to have a driver loaded into my system without my knowledge (especially if that driver has been made by an unknown person)

The ClassGuid is used by Windows so that the system knows which category your driver belongs to. More information can be found here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/install/hh/install/setup-cls_f7544122-69a3-4b34-85f5-db3714408026.xml.asp

If you comment that part out, Windows will NOT (to my knowledge) install your driver. Try to see if your driver is working with that method - normally it shouldn't

As for your question about the CAT files: they're created by Microsoft and, if present (and correct, of course), it means that your driver is digitally signed by Microsoft and hence no warning will be displayed

More information can be found here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t46573.html
Old 07-02-2005, 12:42
just4urim

Hi ,

Thanks for your attention I know that I should sign the driver , but as it is in progressing , i prefer not to get the Windows warning whenever I test it !
And of course , ultimately it have to be signed .
About Catalog File , they could be created by yourself too , but you have to sign it again (find more information in IFS or WinDDK kit).
For example, the following command creates a catalog file based on the information in filename.cdf.
MakeCat -v -r <path to files to be signed>\<filename.cdf>

Regards
Old 07-02-2005, 20:15
etienne

AFAIK WHQL certificate costs quite much...
so beware. I found the disabling method much better.
(for a device, you will get the prompt window by default even if you move the device to another USB port.)
Old 07-21-2005, 06:04
just4urim

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne
I found the disabling method much better.
Umm , would u plz share your solution with me ?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:35
sgdt

In "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing" is a value called "Policy". If 0, no warning. But on XP2, if you just try setting to 0 and try to install a driver (without booting), it will reset it back to old value. There are at least two places where it will be reset, so I figured I'd get around it with the old "RegNotifyChangeKeyValue" trick. No luck.

When you do it manually from the control panel, it is apparently also storing it in SAM (witnessed by the immediate update of the setup hash). I *know* there has to be a way to automate this.

I know I could probably just jack SigTab.dll or SysADM.cpl (DriverSigningDialog) but that seems like a serious cludge just to install a driver without the fuss (not to mention probably OS version specific).

Open to suggestions...
Old 09-02-2005, 16:49
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Rcvd at 25 Times in 17 Posts
Mkz Reputation: 2
One other possibility:
Apart from storing in the SAM, maybe for other purposes, the problem might be that the process that maintains the driver database and does this validation (System, perhaps) has its own internal variable for this flag. When you manually update the registry, the internal variable on the process is not updated, only on reboot.

Check the documentation for WM_WININICHANGE or WM_SETTINGCHANGE. For the latter:

The system sends the WM_SETTINGCHANGE message to all top-level windows when the SystemParametersInfo function changes a system-wide setting or when policy settings have changed.

The control panel applet might using WM_SETTINGCHANGE to notify the driver database process that it should reload this configuration value. Either that, or it directly invokes some of its API's, and it's that process itself that updates both the in-memory flag and the registry value.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:25
sgdt

I went with the jacking-the-api approach, it was the easiest with just a few lines of code (two of which were VirtualProtect).

It's worth noting that there is another approach which, while slightly more complicated, would allow for nearly async execution of installer.

Apparently, all one has to do is update PrivateHash after setting the Driver Signing Policy. There is even Easy-To-Trace How-To code right in SetupAPI.dll (and there's only one function that even deals with that registry entry, so I won't list it by name).

I can only imagine a future version of Windows will be more secure, but for now, there's no excuse to enduring the WHQL signing warning any longer.