Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Rcvd at 5 Times in 5 Posts
hobgoblin Reputation: 0
RCE messageboard

Greetings on the board,
Does anyone happen to know what have happened to the RCE Messageboard? I have tried accessing it for a couple of weeks, but can't find it.
All kinds of input is welcome.

regards,
hobgoblin

PS:What about you, JMI? Do you know anything about this?

Last edited by hobgoblin; 07-23-2003 at 21:27.
Old 07-23-2003, 22:03
VIP

Rept. Given: 36
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Rcvd at 14 Times in 10 Posts
BiMode Reputation: 2
Protool aswell....
Old 07-23-2003, 22:59
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
Greetings back:

I do indeed know a great deal about what is happening with the RCE Messageboard and have posted several times here about this issue, although some of those posts seem not to be here anymore.

Last month there was a crash of the server when attempts were made to establish "virtual hosts" for Yates and to convert crackz' site to an active one, rather than an archive. There was then a dispute with the hosting company about restarting the virtual server and Woodmann decided to move.

I offerred a substantially less expensive host who was offerring a complete server, rather than a virtual server. It turns out the woodmann site had never been set up to be a "website" because it had no "frontend," only vBulletin and archives. This was important because of the way the server was being set up and I probably miscommunicated information about that with the host, which caused some delay in efforts to get running on the new host's site.

With that situation straighten out we commenced our attempts to get vBulletin running in a secure environment under windows and IIS, rather than Apache on linux, which was how the old server was configured. It's actually a rather trivial exercise to get vBulletin running on Windows without IIS, but there have been substantial problems attempting to get php, mySQL and vBulletin to talk to eachother under windows/IIS. The issue for our potential new host was security and preventing hacking attempts on the Woodmann site from threatening his other servers, which have commercial operations running on them. We continue to work on those issues. Running vBulletin on Windows with IIS is not the usual configuration nor very well understood. Everyone who has discussed it on the net offers something different, and conflicting advise as a solution to the issues that arise between the components under that system. We continue to attempt to work through those issues and will do so because it is an interesting problem.

As these efforts were ongoing, Woodmann, as did we, became frustrated at the rate of progress getting the server operational. Woodmann then made a decision to open a different server and with a completely different bulletinboard system. That board is currently operational, with some continuing issues, at wxw.Woodmann.com.cjb.net. Several of the archives are also linked through that site. That board system, to the best of my knowledge, is not compatible with the vBulletin system and the "old" messageboard's files can not be imported into it and it's files can not be imported backwards into the vBulletin system.

Protools was previously hosted on woodmann.com and was also linked at the woodmann.cjb.net site, but was not current and they appear to also have a new server. You can find them at:
hxxp://pham.bulhosting.com/protools/.

Woodmann did not have a copy of the files from the prior host. I have offered him whatever assistance I can give, including all the files I have from the former host, to help him set up vBulletin where ever he may want. As I reported here previously, I have a copy of the backup of the vBulletin Woodmann site from four hours before the crash and a running copy of the Messageboard on my local machine, as well as all the former archives. If he sets up vBulletin somewhere else, with or without my assistance, he can install that backup and have the RCE Board "restored" to where it was four hours prior to the crash, with all the registration and user accounts restored as they were.

Communication with Woodmann has often been complicated by inconsistent operation of his email accounts. Hopefully all these issues will be straightened out soon and the Board, with all its valuable information, will be restored somewhere of his choosing and under his control and available to everyone who is interested.

Regards,
Old 07-23-2003, 23:48
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Rcvd at 5 Times in 5 Posts
hobgoblin Reputation: 0
Thank you..

Thanks a lot for taking the time to give a very thorough explanation.

regards,
hobgoblin
Old 07-24-2003, 00:56
VIP

Rept. Given: 111
Rept. Rcvd 14 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks Given: 219
Thanks Rcvd at 238 Times in 152 Posts
bolo2002 Reputation: 14
I agree with hobgoblin,thanks a lot for all nfo!
Old 07-24-2003, 02:34
Friend

Rept. Given: 1
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Rcvd at 7 Times in 7 Posts
LOUZEW Reputation: 2
RCE MsgBoard

Many Thank's JMI for these infos and for all the help you give to Woodman to backup the board !
I'll take a look here every days to see if it's done !
Old 07-29-2003, 00:04
Leader

A brief update for all those awaiting the return of the "old" RCE Messageboard. Woodmann and my friend have had a falling out and a parting of the ways, which is unfortunate, because it resulted mostly from lack of communication, and came just as he was getting vBulletin 3.0.0 up and running in the Windows environment.

But the good news is that as this is being written, I am uploading the "old" server files to Woodmann's new box and will attempt the installation process of vBulletin there, hopefully today, depending on the demands of the real world.

Stay tuned.

Regards.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:26
who cares

Rept. Given: 10
Rept. Rcvd 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Rcvd at 155 Times in 61 Posts
WhoCares Reputation: 17
I'm eager to visit the new server...........Thx for your efforts.
Old 07-29-2003, 22:33
Friend

Rept. Given: 45
Rept. Rcvd 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 6 Times in 6 Posts
bunion Reputation: 11
Good luck with it JMI

paul333
Old 07-30-2003, 01:55
Leader

Update:

I have a "clean" install of vBulletin running on the "new" server. Now I will overwrite with the "old' php files with the modifications we were running before and do a restore of the last backup from June 17, 2003 and then we should be back in business with all the old materials and the old user accounts and stats. :-) I still know of no way to integrate the materials that have been posted on the YaBB board, but there are only a few informational posts.

I'll post the URL for access here when it is completed.

Regards.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:04
Leader

Update:

I have the June 17th edition of the RCE Messageboard Regroupment running on Woodmann's new server. After a few more tests and some security adjustments, we will open it back-up to the public and the re-director will be reset to the "old" board.

Regards.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:00
Drunken Squirrel

Rept. Given: 4
Rept. Rcvd 9 Times in 4 Posts
Squidge Reputation: 9
Nice one !
Old 07-31-2003, 07:58
Leader

All right boys and girls, I believe we are open for business at:

hxxp://66.98.132.48/forum/

By my tests all the links worked and Woodmann is setting the re-director for woodmann.cjb.net to point to the old board. As soon as the domain transfer goes through, it will be back at woodmann.com, but don't use that yet. I'll post when that is working as well.

Enjoy.

Regards.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:16
compaq

Good job!
Old 07-31-2003, 15:26
Drunken Squirrel

Rept. Given: 4
Rept. Rcvd 9 Times in 4 Posts
Squidge Reputation: 9
Seems to work well, just as it did before it died. Well done.