Old 04-03-2005, 03:34
VIP

Rept. Given: 27
Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Rcvd at 10 Times in 9 Posts
aldente Reputation: 7
but their "rules" don't have anything to do with the law

when I set up rules in my posts in this forum, forcing everyone who reads the posts to fly to the moon, then I can't prosecute anyone who does not fly to the moon.

btw: I can't see any rules on the website of rapidshare, I just have to click "free", and then click on the filename.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:39
Cracker + Unpacker

Rept. Given: 7
Rept. Rcvd 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Rcvd at 16 Times in 10 Posts
MaRKuS-DJM Reputation: 6
hehe, that's true. you said they logged IP... what is the effort of this then? do they DDoS you? i searched again for them, but didn't find them. maybe it was a mistake.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:48
VIP

http://rapidshare.de/files/1065965/PE1.rar.html

<input type="hidden" name="hint" value="Service-Abuses will be prosecuted, 217.253.xxx.xxx!">

Don't know if they actually log it, maybe they just want to frighten the programmer of tools like mine ("normal" user's will never see this hidden "hint").
Old 04-03-2005, 04:56
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
Maybe it would help if you simply actually read their main page (http://rapidshare.de/), which states:

"RapidShare is an absolutely free web-hosting service for providing webspace on our servers without the need to sign-up. The whole web-service is ad-financed. More infos can be found in our FAQ. Due to legal reasons we log uploader's IP-addresses."

One of their concerns is that, under German law, they might get into trouble for hosting the illegal spreading of copyrighted materials and they may, in fact, be required to keep track of IPs of uploaders in case there is claim of illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. The information does not explicitly state that they log "downloader's" IPs, but it would be easy to do so.

Regards,
Old 04-03-2005, 05:25
VIP

well, JMI, i know, but the message i posted it from the download-page, it contains the IP of the DOWNLOADER!

it has been changed in the last few days, the fact that rapidshare logs the UPLOADER IP is anounced since the beginning of the service, but it has nothing to do with the download

Last edited by aldente; 04-03-2005 at 05:27.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:06
Leader

I understand that, but it is not really clear that they are "logging" your download IP. It might, and I say "might" simply be part of the string which is showing where the file is being sent. That does not necessarily mean that they are "keeping" a log of those IP addresses.

Anytime you click on a webpage there is something known as the referrer, which is the IP from which you accessed the page you are looking at. That will be the IP from which YOU access the page, whether it is your "real" IP or a proxy. This is fairly standard for web servers. The issue is whether or not those "referrers" are actually saved to a log, and whether or not they are actually reviewed by anyone. In this case, you are actually initiating a file transfer and the system HAS to use "your IP," if for no other reason, to send the file "to you".

The vBulletin program, for example, automatically scans the IP of everyone who logs in here and Administrators have access to that information. That is how an IP may be banned, if that were wanted to be done. If you have concerns about this process, anywhere on the net, you should investigate anomymous surfing options which are available out there and impliment ones which help insure your privacy.

Regards,
Old 04-03-2005, 07:35
VIP

I know about the TCP/IP-protocol and the HTTP-protocol, but sample above is from the HTML-page, and not from any packet- or POST/GET-header.

I know they can easily log the IP, what I care about is this message.

The tag was definately not there before (otherwise my tool would never have worked, cause I formerly did not recognize it for generating the POST-header), and now it is there.

So, have a guess, WHY do they include it now? There's no need for it, as it is transmitted in the background, neither a normal user, nor a user using any "web filter" or "tricky script" would ever see it! You'll only see it, when you go to the downloadpage, where you can click the free button (then your browser generates the POST-header, just like my tool), and have a look at the source.
I can't see any reason, except they want to frighten someone who has to have a look at it for different purposes, e.g. writing some kind of tool...
Old 04-03-2005, 11:57
Leader

If so, it shouldn't be very frightening to those who don't live in the EU or the US. And it is, like you suggest, most likely an attempt to frighten those who are looking at their page in the way you suggest.

However, downloaders have NO contractual relationship with rapidshare, because they did not Upload and are not expressly made subject to the "webhosting" agreement by downloading from someone who has done so. Their use statement does not contain any attempt to control the rights or use of their system by downloaders and does not say one may not attempt to circumvent their ads to download.

Regards,