Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 17:13
_Ramirez_

Question Why do (BIG) cracking groups crack?

Always wanted to know this? Is it just for the status within cracking community? Or is it everlasting search for knowledge? Is there any money in it?

P.S. I would like serious discussion with no flame. Replies from experienced users are more then welcome!
Old 03-01-2005, 20:55
Friend

Rept. Given: 8
Rept. Rcvd 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 0 Times in 0 Posts
SystemeD Reputation: 1
I agree!
Someone could think this is a stupid question but I really wonder why all this people do all this work.
Some days ago I read a new guide to cracking (about .NET application) and in the beginning the author talked about the "SCENE". Well, he said that in the past, to be a good cracker meant have access to ftp sites with cracked apps, games and so on, but now with p2p everyone can get everything without any problem.
This was the past but now?
Regards,
SystemeD
Old 03-01-2005, 21:48
armmad8

am not acusing anyone ;-) but yeah, there is money involve in a way...
Old 03-02-2005, 00:00
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Rcvd at 7 Times in 7 Posts
peleon Reputation: 7
Well, I dont really know the answer. I guess that each group/cracker can have their own interest in continue cracking:

1) Maybe money involved

2) Maybe learning purposes

3) Maybe it's a way to feel important in life, saying that you can crack this and that.

4) Maybe an obsesion to annoy a big company/someone

5) many others...
Old 03-02-2005, 00:41
VIP

Rept. Given: 39
Rept. Rcvd 61 Times in 41 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 4 Times in 4 Posts
D-Jester Reputation: 61
Money...maybe, two job offers I have seen in the last 6 months:

http://www.exetools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6057

http://www.woodmann.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6865

Of course knowledge must be the most important answer, thus was the goal of the grandfather of Win32 reversing +ORC
Even as darkness envelops and consumes us, wrapping around our personal worlds like the hand that grips around our necks and suffocates us, we must realize that life really is beautiful and the shadows of despair will scurry away like the fleeting roaches before the light.
Old 03-02-2005, 00:48
crkelbery

1) Maybe money involved<<<<<<I guess that those astalavista related sites could tell lots of things about this.

2) Maybe learning purposes <<<<< there's no need to spred ready made cracks only for learning purposes. That could have sense if those shareware apps had different "protections"...but that's not the real case..

3) Maybe it's a way to feel important in life, saying that you can crack this and that. <<<<<<< if you don't show it...it's like you hadn't done it.....

4) Maybe an obsesion to annoy a big company/someone <<<<so...what's the sense in spreading cracks of programs from little companies or simple programmers working individually.

5) many others... <<<<<sure.......i guess there are so many answers as people inside exetools forums......everyone has his reason....and i guess taking it as a private individual hobby challenge is a good reason...hurting nobody.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:32
arkanoid

You are missing one more reason.
Fame. Somebody do it for fame.
I don't know exactly, but big groups continue to work to maintain their fame.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:05
Friend

Rept. Given: 1
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
atzplzw Reputation: 0
For REAL scene groups I think money is not a factor. Many groups do have a "f... p2p & public" statement in there nfo.
In my opinion it's all about the fame. Every group thinks they are the best. "Jiipp! We've done 100 rls'es" sounds familiar, right?!

@SystemeD: Some things never change.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:20
stephenteh

for me only one thing make me continue cracking....to pass time....
Old 03-02-2005, 06:22
VIP

Rept. Given: 27
Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Rcvd at 10 Times in 9 Posts
aldente Reputation: 7
I think the answer is the same as the answer to the question, why there's freeware.

Both, freeware programmers and reverse engineers, have neither a wife nor a real life, and mostly they don't even have a job, so they waste their time by trying to imitate real software and publishing the result as 'theirs', or they waste it by defeating hard protections and tricking those people on the 'other side': police, private investigators and software developers. Crackers are usually the much more skilled programmers, freeware developers just implement their 'great' ideas nobody is interested in exotic programming languages and most likely on operating systems nobody uses (e.g. Shitnix), which only 'advantage' is, that they are 'open'.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:53
Danzig

This is my chess. It is stimulating, interesting, challenging, relaxing after a hard days work, has infinite possibilities and of course there is nothing like the satisfaction of 'winning'. :-)

I was interested in the scene back in the C=64 days, but 20 years on, all my work is just for the fun of it.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:24
MrAnonymous

Real scene groups dont involve money, if they did they would be banned quickly.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:37
crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_or_what
I think the answer is the same as the answer to the question, why there's freeware.

Both, freeware programmers and reverse engineers, have neither a wife nor a real life, and mostly they don't even have a job, so they waste their time by trying to imitate real software and publishing the result as 'theirs', or they waste it by defeating hard protections and tricking those people on the 'other side': police, private investigators and software developers. Crackers are usually the much more skilled programmers, freeware developers just implement their 'great' ideas nobody is interested in exotic programming languages and most likely on operating systems nobody uses (e.g. Shitnix), which only 'advantage' is, that they are 'open'.
what a senseless & stupid statement!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:55
bollygud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
This is my chess. It is stimulating, interesting, challenging, relaxing after a hard days work, has infinite possibilities and of course there is nothing like the satisfaction of 'winning'. :-)

I was interested in the scene back in the C=64 days, but 20 years on, all my work is just for the fun of it.

wow, that's so on the money it's scary

as far as 'big' groups, who knows, but my guess would be somewhat similar to what Danzig has posted here.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:08
who cares

Rept. Given: 10
Rept. Rcvd 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Rcvd at 155 Times in 61 Posts
WhoCares Reputation: 17
without the work of cracking groups or individuals, there is almost nothing to get from P2P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemeD
but now with p2p everyone can get everything without any problem.