Old 07-29-2009, 12:22
VIP

Rept. Given: 39
Rept. Rcvd 61 Times in 41 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 4 Times in 4 Posts
D-Jester Reputation: 61
[Discussion]Windows 7 & RCE

I've heard there will be mad compatibility issues with anything that doesn't vista support. Windows XP compatibility by extra module only, not built in.

Makes me worry about the old tools I use, whether they will be usable or not.

I am currently downloading the RTM torrent for 32bit x86, I'll post my experiences.

Thoughts? Rumors? Rants?
Even as darkness envelops and consumes us, wrapping around our personal worlds like the hand that grips around our necks and suffocates us, we must realize that life really is beautiful and the shadows of despair will scurry away like the fleeting roaches before the light.
Old 07-29-2009, 13:14
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
Rant: Stop Smoking! Give your lungs a break. Rant off

Since the world seems to be creeping to a 64 bit computing world, we definitely need more 64 bit compatible tools to work with. But the more they develop in 64 bit, the more the "developers" will need 64 bit tools to fix all their screw-ups. That's usually how it starts and works it way down to the rest of us.

Regards,
Old 07-29-2009, 14:05
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI View Post
Rant: Stop Smoking! Give your lungs a break. Rant off
I plan to, pushing $5.60 a pack where I live (though I hear its $9+ in NYC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI View Post
Since the world seems to be creeping to a 64 bit computing world, we definitely need more 64 bit compatible tools to work with. But the more they develop in 64 bit, the more the "developers" will need 64 bit tools to fix all their screw-ups. That's usually how it starts and works it way down to the rest of us.

Regards,
I have no experience with a 64 bit environment, nor the hardware to run it. I am still using a P4 HT ~2.8GHz. If we take into account Moore's law then we should see Core Octo by the end of 2010 if not 128 bit (yeah right )I'll upgrade then lol. In the mean time I'll stick with my XP SP3 for OS of choice. I beta tested Vista RC1 & RC2 I wasn't impressed, a little annoyed with the constant administrator confirmations actually. Unless Win7 is something amazing I don't see me upgrading permanently.
Even as darkness envelops and consumes us, wrapping around our personal worlds like the hand that grips around our necks and suffocates us, we must realize that life really is beautiful and the shadows of despair will scurry away like the fleeting roaches before the light.
Old 08-14-2009, 23:29
tS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jester View Post
I have no experience with a 64 bit environment, nor the hardware to run it. I am still using a P4 HT ~2.8GHz. If we take into account Moore's law then we should see Core Octo by the end of 2010 if not 128 bit (yeah right )I'll upgrade then lol. In the mean time I'll stick with my XP SP3 for OS of choice. I beta tested Vista RC1 & RC2 I wasn't impressed, a little annoyed with the constant administrator confirmations actually. Unless Win7 is something amazing I don't see me upgrading permanently.
Same here. I still have a P4 lol. When I decided to upgrade to Vista, thinking it would have been better because I was thinking Vista would be a hell of a better upgrade from XP.

It turned out to be a friggin nightmare. Incompatability issues, some software's just refusing to run, UAC going nuts. All in all it was a waste of money and time. In the end I decided to downgrade back to XP.

And what a relief! I am still on XP SP3 and I dont plan to upgrade until I've checked out Win7 and its features including compatability .
Old 08-25-2009, 02:36
VIP

So far the environment seems very nice.

It stable so far, I have had zero crashes.

Of my RCE tools, few run though.

Ollydbg runs, but is touchy.

I've had to Dualboot XP/7 to get anything RCE done...
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19
RappyBMX

using RTM x64 also... works well... i had no problem with it... before i used xp x64... maybe you could try the xp mode for win 7
Old 09-01-2009, 13:51
Friend

Rept. Given: 4
Rept. Rcvd 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Rcvd at 41 Times in 18 Posts
Evilcry Reputation: 15
I've successfully installed all versions of Win7 and I've to say that detected all hardware at first shot, also where Vista have had problems

About compatibility is Really the Best

Regards,
Evilcry
Old 09-14-2009, 15:04
Friend

Rept. Given: 14
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Rcvd at 2 Times in 2 Posts
kunam Reputation: 2
i think we need to disable UAC settings to make it run well
Old 09-15-2009, 03:48
Drunken Squirrel

Rept. Given: 4
Rept. Rcvd 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Squidge Reputation: 9
I installed Win7 on my laptop (I've too much to lose by installing it on my main machine) and I've had no problems so far apart from the fact that a lot of software is still non-UAC compliant so you basically have to turn it of to have such apps run (sometimes at all).

What is it about Ollydbg that you say is touchy?
Old 10-02-2009, 20:08
Friend

Rept. Given: 3
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 0 Times in 0 Posts
v01d Reputation: 0
For me ollydbg works fine even with StrongOD plugin. I was able to execute themida in the debugger.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:15
maestro

I straivaet.UAC - disables, or rather replace it at Outpost
Old 12-21-2009, 06:44
Family

Rept. Given: 18
Rept. Rcvd 72 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 3 Times in 3 Posts
*RemedY* Reputation: 72
For me Olly works not as good as I want it to.
That's not an Olly issue but a plugin one, namely OllyAdvanced doesn't work. Since I'm really used to work with it, it's really a pain.
Old 12-21-2009, 18:05
Friend

Rept. Given: 2
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Rcvd at 13 Times in 9 Posts
matt Reputation: 0
It's really an annoy job to upgrade and personally I don't see a strong reason to move to Win7. Currently Vista and server 2008 work well for me and I prefer the classic start menu.

How's the xp mode of win7 ? anyone tried it ? It seems the only feature that attracts me to run xp tools.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:30
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Rcvd at 9 Times in 6 Posts
carlitos Reputation: 1
Hi D-Jester i saw u talking about compatibility of windows 7 with other tool like windows xp and other stuff....im running windows 7 on my computer and AIO cracked and everything got to tell u that rocks the shit out of vista and xp, first cause it loads like 10 secs faster than the windows vista, second its got an integrated module to run windows xp tools and third no need to install the driver already are installed and recognixe your computer maybe the only one that comes with probs is the vide driver, either way u can run windows 7 in x86arquitecture as 32 bits or x64 arquitecture as 64 bits. Im running the 32bits, yeah its true that some programs are better to run them in windows xp cause their design for it but just update ur tool or program and that will do, and if not u always got the integrated modulo of windows xp inside windows 7 to run it.

And at last talking about windows 7 visual design its the same as vista but the folders are better organized and u can do ur custom themes thats much better i love it.
And takes no resources of ur computer at all and runs perfect.

Here u got a link to my screen pic so u can take a peek to what is windows 7, !!!Note: All in the screenpic is designed with the windows 7 themes, so doesnt consume resources except for the dock of the right( app luncher)

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/1963/captureeo.jpg

Last edited by carlitos; 12-22-2009 at 02:36.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:17
Fyyre

Rept. Given: 75
Rept. Rcvd 85 Times in 38 Posts
Thanks Given: 141
Thanks Rcvd at 335 Times in 113 Posts
Fyyre Reputation: 85
Hi,

About compatibility, wanted to add... I run Windows 7 X64 RTM since August, am happy with it.

Regarding Ollydbg ... I am able to run and debug applications packed with Themida, Winlicense this kind of protector -- that is matter of having correct plugins (Stealth64).

For unpacking jobs or things which require hooking device drivers, I keep Windows XP SP3 installed inside of VMWare, and do such work there...

Windows XP mode is junk (imo) ... is Virtual PC running Windows XP (dunno about you, but I not care for Virtual PC....no snapshots).

Be well,

-Fyyre

Tags
rce, window 7, windows vista, windows xp