Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-22-2002, 02:11
Toten

Wise32ex.dll

Hello,

Is there anyone here that can help me with this ?

I have an App, and now i have an update for it to change it from version 7.02 to 7.03.
This update patch is a 20mb exe file.
Right when i run this update patch it looks for the original CD in my drive, because i don't have the original CD it will not run and closes down saying somthing like "please insert the original CD ".

Right, the problem i have is when i trace this in Sice the update.exe transfers the routine over to a temporary file in Windows\Temp dir called wise32ex.dll. This is the file that does the CD check, and if it don't find it, it will not let the main exe run.

I have noticed that the memory address in Sice while in this Wise32ex.dll is 0167:5EA15311 which cannot be found in Hiew.
Also this file is only temporary so it cannot be edited anyway. Because as soon as it does not find the original CD, it deletes itself from Windows\Temp dir.

Can anyone advise me as to how to go about tackling this problem ?

And take it easy as i am only a newbie.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-23-2002, 16:53
Friend

Rept. Given: 4
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 0 Times in 0 Posts
SlashZero Reputation: 0
hi there

you can try to catch the dll right after you startet the prog.

then you can have a deeper look at it and perhaps you'll find anything intresting then you can try to mahe a patcher and patch the Dll right after it was created before the CD check and look what happens.

i think it's worth a try

so long
S\ashZer0
Old 08-24-2002, 04:44
Toten

Cheers for the help SlashZero, but i simply don't possess the knowledge to do such things.

I did mess up thigh because the DLL is called 'VISE32ex.DLL'.
Though i suppose it doesn't matter what it's called really.

I got an app a while back called 'GDLToolbox', i have been trying to crack that little bastard for a month. I can find the serial i entered while tracing with softice. But i can't find the bloody real one !

I know what your saying though try and patch it in memory or make loader for it. But like i say it's a bit out of my league at the moment.

Anyway thanks again mate.