Old 11-16-2005, 06:19
The Art Of Silence

Rept. Given: 65
Rept. Rcvd 54 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks Given: 69
Thanks Rcvd at 134 Times in 36 Posts
taos Reputation: 54
Windows live!

Is Windows live the END of CRACKING proggs?
I explain it:

Running progs. like the new Microsoft Office Live ONLINE.
Obviously you can not debug a remote prog.
Is MS thinking about ALL users in future must execute in Internet the apps?
(not locally)

BR
Old 11-16-2005, 08:09
Viasek

It seems like such a tedious thing to use. Have to see if it works first.
Old 11-16-2005, 14:29
Friend

Rept. Given: 9
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Rcvd at 2 Times in 2 Posts
duseng Reputation: 0
i don't how the scheme look like, but sumthing like flash in a site,there is must be way to downloaded and make offline workable ....
Old 11-16-2005, 15:04
FlyingSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by duseng
i don't how the scheme look like, but sumthing like flash in a site,there is must be way to downloaded and make offline workable ....
Microsoft may make the live! progg works like asp that can be executed but can not download.
Old 11-16-2005, 17:28
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sten Reputation: 0
It would be interesting to see WinWord running as an CGI/ASP application. :-)
However, something like this can be used inside the organization local Intranet.
Old 11-16-2005, 19:35
The Art Of Silence

Rept. Given: 65
Rept. Rcvd 54 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks Given: 69
Thanks Rcvd at 134 Times in 36 Posts
taos Reputation: 54
You can see and test Messenger Live (Beta).

Obviously, MS will not sell Office Live to your organization (Intranet), you ONLY will run through MS web.

BR
Old 11-16-2005, 19:46
Friend

Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
Eleven Reputation: 0
I don't think that financially they'd be able to support internet-only Live products, as businesses will do as much as possible to avoid it. For big business it is a huge burden to rely solely on an internet connection where if that connection is lost, some business function will cease until it is corrected.

I'd guess that Live products will be purchasable in a stand-alone format for intranet use to business (similar to how they sell their SMS product that distributes updates that bypass the microsoft genuine advantage checks per-machine) and that it'll have some kind of protection that makes it extremely difficult to remove watermarks (similar to IDA), making illegal distribution easily trackable.
Old 11-16-2005, 20:43
Friend

Rept. Given: 9
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Rcvd at 2 Times in 2 Posts
duseng Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSnow
Microsoft may make the live! progg works like asp that can be executed but can not download.
lol , maybe just the runtime, this thing maybe will implemented next 5 year,need min 1 GBps connection on everyone home to run this flawesly, but who need more feature anyway, for normal typing and writing office 2000 still works for me,even old lotus domino
Old 11-17-2005, 03:15
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by taos
Obviously, MS will not sell Office Live to your organization (Intranet), you ONLY will run through MS web.
Consider I'm editing some document containing commercial classified information or, who knows, maybe even goverment restricted one. Do you think I will be happy to sent this data to the MS server to process?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:12
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten
Consider I'm editing some document containing commercial classified information or, who knows, maybe even goverment restricted one. Do you think I will be happy to sent this data to the MS server to process?
As far as I know it mostly runs in the browser, with requests sent for processing parts to be sent individually (so no actual data is sent through the internet/network).
Old 11-17-2005, 06:39
baatazu

Hey, do you believe that we have fiber optic connections in our homes?
Windows Live is an old idea but cannot implemented as long as 3rd-world countries will also have cable connections at minimum. Which means that fiber optic would be a standard in the states.
Old 11-17-2005, 17:17
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven
As far as I know it mostly runs in the browser, with requests sent for processing parts to be sent individually (so no actual data is sent through the internet/network).
Nobody will process his personal data with Live internet program since the program actually sends parts of the document to the server. (otherwise, how can you implement, for example, search-and-replace text processor feature with these Live things?). And these parts can (and _will_) contain personal information.
Also, there is no way to tell what data the Live program actually sends to it's server. At least it requires carefull investigation and there is no warranty the behaviour will not change with the next program update.

So, I think ANY program that operates on user personal data and have Live-internet design have no chances on the market.
Old 11-17-2005, 19:31
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten
Nobody will process his personal data with Live internet program since the program actually sends parts of the document to the server. (otherwise, how can you implement, for example, search-and-replace text processor feature with these Live things?). And these parts can (and _will_) contain personal information.
Also, there is no way to tell what data the Live program actually sends to it's server. At least it requires carefull investigation and there is no warranty the behaviour will not change with the next program update.

So, I think ANY program that operates on user personal data and have Live-internet design have no chances on the market.
I was assuming that these Live products would most likely be done using a mix of Ajax (live scripting) and ActiveX (or something newer) so that while the program is being loaded and updated through the internet, all the processing would still be done at the client level. Basically you hit search/replace and it requests, receives and loads and specific search and replace controls or code that will work for that session only.

I honestly don't see how doing it any other way would work for either client or server.
Old 11-17-2005, 22:10
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven
while the program is being loaded and updated through the internet, all the processing would still be done at the client level. [...] Code that will work for that session only.
So, in this archtecture the code is actually executed on the client side. That doesn't prevent it from being patched. Also, as I said above, there is no warranty that all these "loadable" and "updatable" controls won't sent user private data to the server.

Last edited by Sten; 11-17-2005 at 22:18.