Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 20:42
sojourner353

Program to view what another Program is doing when it is run?

Hi all,

I am not sure what to call what I am looking for but here is some info for what I need as I am not even sure it exists.

I have a program on a PC (plfe.exe) that is running an Arcade Machine (UltraPin) Frontend, this Machine was built by a Manufacturer (Global VR) with a set Hardware design, I have just had to replace the GPU in it as the old one failed and the newer one is presenting some problems.

I am using a nVidia GPU now (9800) and when the program opens it is making changes in the nVidia Control Panel changing the Digital Vibrance setting from 50% to 20% and once I close the program and even reboot this setting stays the same and I have to manually change it back again which is telling me it makes changes in the registry, and once I fix it and rerun the program it just changes it back, its throwing all the colours out so I need to try and find a way to fix it.

I am looking for a program that I can run my program through so I can see what it is doing when it opens so maybe I can stop it making the changes to the GPU settings, I don¡¯t have the source code for the original program either and cannot get it.

So if anyone has any ideas what I can do I would like to know, my Operating System Specs are Windows XP Embedded SP2 x86.

Thanks for reading and the help.

Kind regards,

Kevin
Old 06-13-2012, 23:23
Family

Rept. Given: 18
Rept. Rcvd 72 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 3 Times in 3 Posts
*RemedY* Reputation: 72
I guess "Process Monitor" is what you are looking for:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

You can log (and live-view) the activities of any program. This may help you to find out what the program in question does to change your settings.

Have fun.

Best regards
*Remedy*
Old 06-14-2012, 00:13
sojourner353

Thanks *RemedY*,

Will download it and give it a go tomorrow and post back my results, have a good one.

Kind regards,

Kevin
Old 06-14-2012, 12:08
sojourner353

Ok just a quick update, I downloaded and ran process monitor, was missing a dll at first but fixed that problem then the first time I ran it windows instantly shutdown then rebooted, then I tried opening process monitor again and it does open but I get a error saying "Unable to load Process Monitor driver" so all capturing is disabled, have googled this and tried what people suggest but can't get it to work, any ideas? Thanks.

Kind regards,

Kevin
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17
sojourner353

Just read its not compatible with XPe looking for another solution now, cheers.

Kind regards,

Kevin
Old 06-14-2012, 20:23
Family

OK, just saw you are running XP Embedded. Any chance to run Python there?
If so, I maybe have some script laying around to help you with your problem.

Best regards
*RemedY*
Old 06-14-2012, 21:06
Friend

Rept. Given: 4
Rept. Rcvd 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Rcvd at 47 Times in 35 Posts
mcp Reputation: 12
If you want a general purpose custom solution, just go for PIN and write a small PIN tool that instruments all APIs whenever an image is loaded. This way you have maximum control over what you want to output whenever an API is hit.
Old 06-14-2012, 23:03
sojourner353

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, mcp I am a bit of a noob when it comes to programming but am looking into it, *RemedY* haven't tried any python on it yet but am looking into it also, have found 2 debugging applications I am going to try tomorrow "FileMon & RegMon" from what I have read they will do a similar thing to "Process Monitor" but are said to work on XPe, will post my results with these, cheers.

Kind regards,

Kevin
Old 06-14-2012, 23:30
Curious reverseR

Rept. Given: 7
Rept. Rcvd 111 Times in 55 Posts
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Rcvd at 30 Times in 14 Posts
nanobit Reputation: 100-199 nanobit Reputation: 100-199
If only there was a working equivalent of linux's strace/ptrace for windows. I think RemedY has something like that which can help you.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:01
Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobit View Post
If only there was a working equivalent of linux's strace/ptrace for windows. I think RemedY has something like that which can help you.
Yep, exactly!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:39
sojourner353

Quote:
Originally Posted by *RemedY* View Post
Yep, exactly!
I will download Python and install it later today after work, hopefully it installs without any issues, just looking at the versions available and can see there is quite a few, should I just go with the latest (3.2.3)? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:00
Family

Uuuh, NO!

Python 3 is another language.
Take Python 2.7.x if it is available.
In Python 3 a lot of things changed compared to Python 2 and a great deal of Pythonistas refused switching to Python 3 (so did I). That's why they maintain two branches of the language for a really long period. In the long run everyone should switch to Python 3, but actually I'd measure this period in decades rather than years.

*RemedY*
Old 06-16-2012, 12:27
sojourner353

Hi *RemedY*

Thanks for the reply, ok Python 2.7.3 installed without a problem, having never used it before I don't know what to do with it now, am doing some reading about it though while I wait for your reply, cheers.

Kind regards,

Kevin
Old 06-17-2012, 05:34
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
sojourner353 - and all new members to the Forums:

You do not need to Quote the post you are responding to, especially when it is right about your Post and will still be visible to those reading the Thread. It simply adds to the volume of the database without adding any additional information to the readers. The can easily see what you are replying to right above your response. You should only Quote the post if it is far enough above your post, or on a different page, that quoting may be necessary for your post to make sense.

Regards,
Old 06-17-2012, 09:50
Family

Ah, good. Python is running, that's fine.
I've just setup XPe in an emulator to test the scripts with it.
If all is well, I'll upload them somewhere for you, because your postcount doesn't allow you to download attachments from here.

Stay tuned.

*RemedY*