Old 01-29-2002, 05:55
Friend

Rept. Given: 1
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
DooGie Reputation: 0
XP & SICE probs

Is anyone running driver studio 2.6 or driver suite 2.6 successfully on XP. I can get it to load ok but as soon as I start debugging I get a system lockup. Done the videocard check and everythings reported as being fine.
As an alternative to SICE does anybody know of any other decent debuggers which will run in XP. Tried olly debug but find it confusing.
Any tips or hints anyone?
Old 01-29-2002, 18:26
caron.nico

Unhappy no problem for me !

I'm using driver suite 2.6 under XP pro and I've not encounter any problems.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:34
Int03h

Question XP...No problem??

caron.nico,

Try to load an exe and see if WInice stops at the Entry point. Then try to break on MessageBoxA or W and do a F-11 to return to callee, and tell us the results.

Reply ASAP pls. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:16
vt0008

I'm using Driver Suite 2.6 with XP Pro, I got not problem to run.
But the only problem I got is when I want to setup a breakpoint for HMEMCPY.
SoftIce says "Symbol not defined".
I can set others breakpoint such as GETDLGITEMTEXTA, WM_DESTROY --> No problem

I cannot set a Breakpoint BPX HMEMCPY.

Thanks for your helps.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:15
Friend

Seem to remember reading somewhere that you can't use hmemcpy as a breakpoint in XP or Win2000. It's not a recognised breakpoint on these OS's.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:39
VIP

Rept. Given: 57
Rept. Rcvd 12 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 78
Thanks Rcvd at 27 Times in 13 Posts
_Servil_ Reputation: 12
i think it's stiill not woking , the same as in v2.5 (i can trap ShowWindow but not MessageBox ).
Can't stop it on winmain, bpxpoints are cleared after exitprocess, symloader requires debug info etc. etc...
Old 02-02-2002, 07:12
Int03h

Reply goes here

HMEMCPY is NOT supposed to work in NTx since this is a 16Bits OS call used by the 9x Kernel and not found on NTx Kernel. So it is normal that this call wont work on XP.

_Servil_`s symptom seems to be the symptoms that the majority of people are experiencing under XP. "Can't stop it on winmain, bpxpoints are cleared after exitprocess, symloader requires debug info etc. etc..."

vt0008, pls do what i told DooGie o do and post back your results. I really want to figure out that S-ice+XP issue.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2002, 08:07
Friend

Sorry I've not replied yet Int03h but at present I've not even got Driver Suite installed. After my probs I uninstalled & haven't had the urge to reinstall it yet. Will reinstall when I see an app to crack that I really want to use and go from there.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:59
NE1

Hi DooGie...

When I first installed it I had a similar problem. It would load OK, but lockup my system after exiting the debug window. Tried many things to fix the problem with out any success. Then one day my system refused to boot (not sure if this problem was related or not). Anyway, in an attempt to get my system up and running (without having to purchase a new BIOS chip), I manually cleared my CMOS (by shorting the appropriate pins on the main board). Anyway, this (thankfully) got my system back up and running and strangly resolved the S-ICE problem as well. Anyway, you may want to try clearing the CMOS this way as well, and see if it works for you.

BTW: Clearing the CMOS through the BIOS Setup screen did not fix the S-ICE problem, as I had tried that previously, nor did re-installing or any other software related things I tried. Only manually clearing the CMOS via the main board worked.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:30
Friend

Thanks NE1 I'll try that sometime. Seems a pretty weird solution to the problem though. After clearing your cmos did you set up all the bios settings the same as you had them previously or did you make some changes?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:52
NE1

Yeah, I agree it is a strange solution. I tried every possible BIOS setting previously with no luck, and after clearing it, and seeing that S-ICE was now working, I did put the settings back to thier previous settings and S-ICE still worked. If this solution works for you, I would be curious too know what hardware you are running to see if maybe we have something in common.

My barebones hardware is as follows.

Asus A7V Mainboard with VIA Apolla KT133 chipset.
AMD Athlon 1 GHz CPU.
894 MB RAM.

Last edited by NE1; 02-05-2002 at 20:50.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:31
vt0008

Int03h,

I did what you told DooGie to do.
SI doesn't stop with the breakpoint messageboxa.
Old 02-08-2002, 16:57
tar

Hello,
I'm also having troubles with SoftIce(DriverSuite 2.6)+XP. bpx
MessageBoxA works very well, but when I try to step out to the
caller, the program keeps executing. It seems like breakpoints
are working, but not returns; that exits the debugger.
Also, If I don't start SoftIce before XP (first alternative) XP
bluescreens at boot in SIWVID.

/tar
Old 03-01-2002, 09:06
mariop

Has anyone come up with some info on this problem? I cannot get it to stop at WinMain.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:50
sheroc

softice ( latest ) very weak in breakpoint handling

Yes, to verybody: SoftICE ( the latest: form Driver Studio 2.6 ) is still weak when it comes to breakpoints... ) doesnīt handle stop at winman properly, doesnīt handle step over properly ( it sometimnes works, sometimes not ), doesnīt handle pass until ret properly...

When I say properly I mean simply not working or working too few times xD.

And at last, breakpoints on hmemecopy and other API calls dont work simply because they donīt even exist in WinNT architecture cause of their 16 bit nature.

Plissssss, if someone has a workaround for this weak breakpoint handling win SICE&XP, let everybody know! ( quite CRUCIAL ).

Good Luck Reversing Warriors!