Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > Community Tools

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-28-2020, 02:24
DavidXanatos DavidXanatos is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 94
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Rcvd at 195 Times in 62 Posts
DavidXanatos Reputation: 18
I have a small inquiry for you guys...

What features would you like to see in the next builds?


I was thinking about the ability to set priorities and CPU affinities persistently, i.e. the tool would remember it on an file name basis and whenever a process is seen with one of the preset paths (or only exe name, in the end probably a wildcard path really) its priorities and stuff will get adjusted accordingly.

I was also thinking about adding an option to perpetually kill processes on the same basis, when one gets seen it will get killed.
thinking here about typical telemetry processes like vctip.exe (VS2017/2019), software_reporter_tool.exe (Chrome), NvTelemetryContainer (NVidia) etc....


With regard to not allowing processes to start I could enforce that using the driver so that the process never goes past created suspended. But is that overkill?
Is that the right thing for a task manager or should that go into some separate HIPS tool? I don't want to cram thematically unrelated features together, but well not allowing processes to start is still in the scope of a process manager.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Gave Reputation+1 to DavidXanatos For This Useful Post:
niculaita (01-28-2020)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidXanatos For This Useful Post:
niculaita (01-28-2020), wild (01-28-2020)
  #17  
Old 01-28-2020, 03:50
wild wild is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 13
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Rcvd at 15 Times in 10 Posts
wild Reputation: 0
Is there (I couldn't find it) a way to "dump" on file all of the information relative to a specific process?
Just as an example, the list of all opened files?

BTW, great program!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-28-2020, 05:03
deepzero's Avatar
deepzero deepzero is offline
VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 233
Rept. Given: 99
Rept. Rcvd 60 Times in 38 Posts
Thanks Given: 97
Thanks Rcvd at 105 Times in 56 Posts
deepzero Reputation: 60
Yes, I think the kill feature would be better to have in a separate program.
The program is great, but maybe you can find a way to either switch to git altogether or find a way to make your workflow work with github. This would allow others to contribute to the project smoothly.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-29-2020, 01:38
CRC32 CRC32 is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Rept. Given: 6
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 36
Thanks Rcvd at 10 Times in 9 Posts
CRC32 Reputation: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild View Post
Is there (I couldn't find it) a way to "dump" on file all of the information relative to a specific process?
Just as an example, the list of all opened files?

BTW, great program!

Yes, my favorite tool at the moment lol!
Very good work!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-29-2020, 02:08
Stingered Stingered is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 136
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Given: 163
Thanks Rcvd at 81 Times in 43 Posts
Stingered Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXanatos View Post
I have a small inquiry for you guys...

What features would you like to see in the next builds?


I was thinking about the ability to set priorities and CPU affinities persistently, i.e. the tool would remember it on an file name basis and whenever a process is seen with one of the preset paths (or only exe name, in the end probably a wildcard path really) its priorities and stuff will get adjusted accordingly.

I was also thinking about adding an option to perpetually kill processes on the same basis, when one gets seen it will get killed.
thinking here about typical telemetry processes like vctip.exe (VS2017/2019), software_reporter_tool.exe (Chrome), NvTelemetryContainer (NVidia) etc....


With regard to not allowing processes to start I could enforce that using the driver so that the process never goes past created suspended. But is that overkill?
Is that the right thing for a task manager or should that go into some separate HIPS tool? I don't want to cram thematically unrelated features together, but well not allowing processes to start is still in the scope of a process manager.

What do you think?
Is useful to have option for suspend process?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-30-2020, 06:01
DavidXanatos DavidXanatos is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 94
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Rcvd at 195 Times in 62 Posts
DavidXanatos Reputation: 18
Quote:
Is useful to have option for suspend process?
You mean something that would suspend all started processes that have a certain path name?

hmm... for an every day use I don't think that is a good idea you would accumulate possibly hundreds of such processes.

but for some particular debug operations when you want to trace something that spawns many child processes really thoroughly, may be...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:09
Stingered Stingered is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 136
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Given: 163
Thanks Rcvd at 81 Times in 43 Posts
Stingered Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXanatos View Post
You mean something that would suspend all started processes that have a certain path name?

hmm... for an every day use I don't think that is a good idea you would accumulate possibly hundreds of such processes.

but for some particular debug operations when you want to trace something that spawns many child processes really thoroughly, may be...
"but for some particular debug operations when you want to trace something that spawns many child processes really thoroughly, may be..."

this (an option, not automatic) - thx
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-31-2020, 07:56
tgd tgd is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 6
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Rcvd at 4 Times in 1 Post
tgd Reputation: 0
Shell David

This Seema an awesome piece of software.

That being salid. Andy france of having a precompiled versión
@ github?

Cheers
TGD
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-31-2020, 17:57
Abaddon Abaddon is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 29
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 82
Thanks Rcvd at 27 Times in 16 Posts
Abaddon Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgd View Post
Andy france of having a precompiled versión
After performing syntax fuzzing...

https://github.com/DavidXanatos/TaskExplorer/releases
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-04-2020, 09:07
tgd tgd is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 6
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Rcvd at 4 Times in 1 Post
tgd Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
After performing syntax fuzzing...
Oh boy! Spell checker did something weird and funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
https://github.com/DavidXanatos/TaskExplorer/releases
Thanks!

Jeep safe!

Cheers
TGD
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-20-2020, 22:25
DavidXanatos DavidXanatos is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 94
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Rcvd at 195 Times in 62 Posts
DavidXanatos Reputation: 18
This build focuses on many large and small usability improvements as well as a few small new features.

Download: https://github.com/taskexplorer/TaskExplorer/releases/tag/v1.2

ChangeLog:
[1.2.0] - 2020-04-20
Added

Option to configure process name display
Pressing the refresh toolbar button now also clears the persistence when in hold mode
Persistent Process Presets
-- CPU, IO, Memory Priorities and CPU Affinity can be set persitence actoss process starts
-- Processes are identifyed by path wildcard paths can be used
-- The mechanism can also kill undesired processes swiftly
add pe file viewer
Sandboxie support, sandboxed prosesses are marked in yellow and the box thay belong to is provided in the tooltip

Changed

more options on main window close
-- Exit confirmation dialog can now be disabled
by default symbols are not auto downloaded, upon selecting a thread the user will be prompted whether to download them of the internet
updated PHlib to version 3.0.3014
updated some default collors
switched to Inno Setup as instller

Fixed

fixed when opening from tray window sometimes being empty
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DavidXanatos For This Useful Post:
besoeso (04-21-2020), chessgod101 (04-21-2020), copyleft (04-21-2020), CRC32 (04-20-2020), deepzero (04-21-2020), niculaita (04-21-2020), wilson bibe (04-21-2020), yoza (04-23-2020)
  #27  
Old 04-27-2020, 23:34
DavidXanatos DavidXanatos is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 94
Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Rcvd at 195 Times in 62 Posts
DavidXanatos Reputation: 18
This build comes with many big fixes and minor usability improvements.

Download: https://github.com/taskexplorer/TaskExplorer/releases/tag/v1.2.1

[1.2.1] - 2020-04-27

Added

the TCP/IP traffic graph now show additional plots with LAN traffic based on ETW data
services can now be stoped from the process tree contect menu

Changed

statis column now sorts not alphabetically but by list color
reorganized the tool bar a bit and added a few shortcuts
switched back to the custom installer due to "compatybility" issues

Fixed


cpu affinity was not properly loaded from file
fixed more tray opening issues
fixed issue displaying .NET assembly informations
fixed issues with list coloring when not allcolors were enabled
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidXanatos For This Useful Post:
darkBLACK (05-03-2020), wilson bibe (04-28-2020)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
China cracking down on hackers rox General Discussion 8 03-09-2010 05:08
Simple Task [make loader for UPX target]... diablo2oo2 General Discussion 1 12-30-2004 07:03


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 16:28.


Always Your Best Friend: Aaron, JMI, ahmadmansoor, ZeNiX
( 1998 - 2020 )