Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 07-18-2002, 04:17
elharagan

Unhappy Installing SoftIce in Win ME

i downloaded softice v.4.05 and some patch for windows Me but after installing softice, i told me that the copy was no longer valid and had to go to numeg's website for an update. what can i do? how can i configure softice to work with winME?
can anyone help me out with this
thank you
Old 07-18-2002, 05:08
VIP

Rept. Given: 57
Rept. Rcvd 12 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 78
Thanks Rcvd at 27 Times in 13 Posts
_Servil_ Reputation: 12
go fraviamb.cjb.net and search the phorumz there was a thred about this with the workaround
Old 07-18-2002, 07:23
tehktik

I had trouble running softice on Win ME at first (installed it over and over various times -- using lots of different "patches" and what not).

I then decided to try one more *which worked*. I'm using the winme loader over at the ice dump page (by the "downloads" [wmldr05.zip]) -- _hxxp://icedump.tsx.org_.

I think it's worth a shot, I mean, I had just about given up on sice. Well, if ithat doesn't work -- there are other debuggers

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:07
elharagan

Thumbs up

Thanks a Lot!!
both Servil & Tehktik.
i'm goint to try this out, it looks like now i'm going to get SICE working.
thank you,
Old 07-18-2002, 08:55
ByTESCRK

Athlon:

What do you want say?
Old 07-18-2002, 22:52
ByTESCRK

Win2K is good. But, I like me WinME.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:53
ByTESCRK

Offtopic: Do you receive my re-msg?
Old 07-19-2002, 01:55
tehktik

Talking

I'd suggest you skip all the win products *period*

Heh, but seriously, you want a better OS, use the new iMacs -- I've got a PC running XP, ME, 98, and mandrake but for designing (my profession) I always use an iMac -- more stable.

And, my primary OS on my PC is mandrake, but second to that is ME, I find nothing worse about it (compared to the rest of the windows versions).

Besides, haven't you seen the new "switch" commercials?? (hxxp://www.apple.com/switch).
Old 07-19-2002, 14:15
Masmer

<warning:ramble>You can crack Mac programs using tools like the free Macintosh Programmer's Workshop. However, Macs use the Motorola architecture, so the assembly syntax is different for the most part.

As you mentioned, PC emulators can run various Windows/Linux versions which can run x86 cracking tools. I created a nice VBA virus under a PC emulator a number of years ago. Since I could create copies of the "hard drive file", I could test the virus out on system after system without having to reinstall Windows 98. (The same could be done on a PC running a PC virtual machine like VMWare, VPC4Win, Bochs, etc.)

I myself am studying assembly/Cxx x86 programming via a ton of books, my Athlon running XP (and DOS 6.22) and my old Mac PowerBook (using an old PC emulator running DOS).

I'm mainly a PC user (as they are superior and there's alot more software available for them), but find the Mac platform interesting as well. Someday I'd like to get a nice Ti PowerBook running the NetBSD-based Mac OS X and a modern PC emulator like Virtual PC 5 so I could run Windows 2000/XP on it as well. Unless a PPC emulator for Windows comes out (68k Mac emulators are already available for the PC).</ramble>

Last edited by Masmer; 07-19-2002 at 15:38.
Old 07-20-2002, 03:13
elharagan

Smile Why WinMe

Just to settle the discussion, i did not choose WinMe, it came with the computer. some of us cannot afford to buy software and have to accept what the computer comes with. maybe later i would like to upgrade, but for now winme is what i have to learn to live with. is better than nothing.