Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2005, 17:02
VIP

Rept. Given: 60
Rept. Rcvd 419 Times in 94 Posts
Thanks Given: 68
Thanks Rcvd at 328 Times in 100 Posts
Shub-Nigurrath Reputation: 400-499 Shub-Nigurrath Reputation: 400-499 Shub-Nigurrath Reputation: 400-499 Shub-Nigurrath Reputation: 400-499 Shub-Nigurrath Reputation: 400-499
I did it simpler. I coded a stub for the real dll: a new dll exposing the same methods of the original dll, eventually through export forwarding if you don't know the original DLL prototypes.

from matt Pietrek..
Quote:
Export Forwarding
A particularly slick feature of exports is the ability to "forward" an export to another DLL. For example, in Windows NT®, Windows® 2000, and Windows XP, the KERNEL32 HeapAlloc function is forwarded to the RtlAllocHeap function exported by NTDLL. Forwarding is performed at link time by a special syntax in the EXPORTS section of the .DEF file. Using HeapAlloc as an example, KERNEL32's DEF file would contain:

EXPORTS
•••
HeapAlloc = NTDLL.RtlAllocHeap

How can you tell if a function is forwarded rather than exported normally? It's somewhat tricky. Normally, the EAT contains the RVA of the exported symbol. However, if the function's RVA is inside the exports section (as given by the VirtualAddress and Size fields in the DataDirectory), the symbol is forwarded.
When a symbol is forwarded, its RVA obviously can't be a code or data address in the current module. Instead, the RVA points to an ASCII string of the DLL and symbol name to which it is forwarded. In the prior example, it would be NTDLL.RtlAllocHeap.
The what I did is to code my DllMain and insert the patching code into the DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH case.

The patched code does these things:
-load the original renamed library (with a leading _ )
-initialize the exports I would to overwrite (if any) through GetProcAddress.
-patch the memory of the DLL (through the handle returned by loadLibrary).
-exit from Dllmain

in the case I wanted to change some of the original Dll's export behaviour I also coded a function with the same prototype of the original one, which do required tricks and after call the original export.

Doing this way I was able to easily code a loader for a asprotected dll which pathces in memory all the nags and insert some missing code, stolen by asprotect.
Old 03-11-2005, 18:11
[NtSC]

Well,actually there are a few Methods.
You could go and "hook" the Loadlibrary Call that loads the dll, thus obtaining the dll loadaddress. from that you can walk the export table to get your functions and/or calculate any needed distance values. Another Method would be to use toolhelp/psapi functions. you can locate your main app and get its loaded modules this way. you will also get baseaddress/size whatever and can just read your dll out that way easiely
The "handmade" export forwarding will work too,but i guess its more work to the thing already needed.
Old 03-11-2005, 21:55
VIP

Rept. Given: 72
Rept. Rcvd 26 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Rcvd at 25 Times in 18 Posts
Newbie_Cracker Reputation: 26
Hmm...
The problem is I know nothing about API hooking. After 3 years, I decided to write a universal loader. This time ABEL didn't help me. It's my first coding in VC++.

OK, I'm writing an universal loader for a license manager program which its kernel is a DLL. Some programmers put this DLL in the resource of their application. It's packed with ASPACK and sometimes with ASPR.
So, I think the method of Shub-Nigurrath won't work for my purpose. I think if the DLL is in resource, LoadLibrary is not usefull. Because DLL name may be changed from an application to other one and its addresses may be changed.

[NtSC], If program loads several DLL and lock-DLL name is variable, is it usefull to use API hooking?
(Could you plz write a short example of using API hooking or toolhelp/psapi functions?)

So I've used FindWindow, GetWindowThreadProcessId and then OpenProcess to get DLL process handle for reading and writing. But I don't know how to get its Base address and/or one of its EXPORTs address. (I've alot of problem with reading PE header file in VC++, too)

Is there any short and precise method?
Old 03-11-2005, 22:34
[NtSC]

Basically.. yes. Api Hooking can be a good Thing to use (if the Dll is extracted/loaded a normal way). This means, the Dll is extracted to a Folder and then loaded with the common Win32 Apis (LoadLibrary for example).

A good Package therefor is the ApiHooks Package from EliCZ for example.
Also Yodas "Hoko" Package is available with atleast 1 Global Hook for free,maybe you should consider to use those.

Atleast playing with such stuff you should read more about the PE-Structure (its a hard way,but will work out in the end

Anyway,what kind of dll/protection do we talk about here?
Old 03-12-2005, 02:15
VIP

Rept. Given: 72
Rept. Rcvd 26 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Rcvd at 25 Times in 18 Posts
Newbie_Cracker Reputation: 26
Instead of hooking, I'v a better idea.
After appearing the registration from (created by DLL), we are sure that DLL is extracted/loaded completely. Its better to get the list of imported DLLs and get the address of serial-check function by GetProcAddress in one loop.
Now, how could I get the import list? only DLLs names.

My problem about reading PE headers almost solved. If i could find any address from the loaded DLL, I could find its PE header by a simple search algo.

The license manager is : CoLock
hxxp://www.colock.com/

It's a funny license manager !!

Last edited by Newbie_Cracker; 03-12-2005 at 04:06.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:10
[NtSC]

Basically a very old asm-snippet of the stuff you need to sort...

get_modules:
cmp [modbuffer],0
jz nofreemod
Call GlobalFree, [modbuffer]
nofreemod:
mov [modsize],04000h
Call GlobalAlloc, 0040h, [modsize]
mov [modbuffer],eax
mov [modpointer],eax

mov ecx,[P_Info+8]
mov [ProcEth32ProcessID],ecx

push ProcEth32ProcessID ;th32ProcessID
push TH32CS_SNAPMODULE ;dwFlags
call CreateToolhelp32Snapshot
mov [hSnapshot],eax

lea edi,ModuleEntry
push edi ;lpme
mov dword ptr [edi],SIZEOFMODULEENTRY
push eax ;hSnapshot
call Module32First
call copy_modinfo
next_mod:
push edi ;lpme
push hSnapshot ;hSnapshot
call Module32Next
or eax,eax
jz mod_done
call copy_modinfo
jmp next_mod
mod_done:
push hSnapshot
call CloseHandle
xor eax,eax
ret
copy_modinfo:
pushad
mov edi,[modpointer]
mov ecx,edi
push ecx
mov eax,[ModEmodBaseAddr] ; get imagebase
mov [edi+30h],eax
mov eax,[ModEmodBaseSize] ; get sizeofimage
mov [edi+34h],eax
lea eax,ModEszModule ; get name of module
call copy0
pop ecx
mov eax,ecx
call lowercase_buffer
add ecx,040h
mov [modpointer],ecx
popad
ret

Just look what apifunctions are used and port it to ur c-code.
that should be enough.. basically you workout all the loaded modules from within a given processinfo!

so..using such a snippet will obtain a list of the loaded modules..
u can increase the search for ur "special" dll by skiping "known" dll modules.
doin this , you can create a table with system librarys and just ignore them.
non standard dlls u examine by obtaining the export table.
you can get the addresses of the exported functions and do a search for whatever in that memory-area.

hope it helps, cheers
Old 05-11-2005, 02:06
Sarge

I think I have a similar question, or maybe I am just re-phrasing the previous question:

What I want to do is to ask Windows, "where is the library <whatever.dll> loaded in memory?" (I think). My intent is to, for example, compile a prog on Win98, examine the prog with a hex editor, and see a reference call to a library function whereby the function is located at MyAddress1. Then, when I compile the same program under WinXP and view it with the hex editor, the function is located at MyAddress2. Obviously, the DLL has been re-located and the address's within the exe (after loading into memory) have been adjusted accordingly. Therefore, I think I want to ask of the specific Windows OS (XP in this case), "where did you move the DLL to", so I can manually change these address's myself.

I tried using "LoadLibrary" within my program, but that just a) loads the library within the context of my progarm, and b) gives me the address of that load....NOT the one in Windows. What am I missing?

sarge

Last edited by Sarge; 05-11-2005 at 02:10.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:26
Friend

Rept. Given: 2
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Rcvd at 18 Times in 18 Posts
NeOXOeN Reputation: 3
MAybe this will help you :http://www.woodmann.com/yates/lad.txt

bye NeO
Old 05-12-2005, 20:35
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
nikola Reputation: 0
@Sarge, that is exactly why NTSC said hooking LoadLibrary would be usefull. Hook the procedure, check arguments. If program is trying to load "mytarget.dll" then call real LoadLibrary, and that is imagebase you need. Now, also send it to program. If its not one you need, then just send it to program. You can make new section for your code so all is executed in target context, but you have to write your code in "delta offset", meaning, relocatable in memory.

And a question from me to someone here. Maybe NTSC knows... How to gain write access to space of a loaded dll? Eg, user32 in win9x? In NT we can use VirtualProtect. In win9x there is an undocumented procedure i found in some source, that looks like was taked from yoda. It works, but i have problem when i want to write my code relocatable. Then, i need to GetProcAddress of that undocumented function. That function is VxDCall4. It has no real name so i cant get by name, and when i try to GetProcAddress by ordinal i get error
Old 05-12-2005, 23:21
sope2001

Hello newbie_cracker,
Quote:
Is there any short and precise method?
Trying using y0da's Procs & ForceLibrary it might help.

Regards, Sope.
Old 05-15-2005, 16:54
[NtSC]

@sarge - Just take a Module Snapshot either with Toolhelp or PSAPI Functions and you will get the BaseAddresses etc., Size whatever of the Modules belonging to the specified Address. I think that is what you focused? You cannot "guess" or take a specific LoadAddress since indeed the System "can" relocate a DLL everytime somewhere else. Look at the Code Snippet i posted its all there..

@nikola - What you focus is a global Hook under 9x. Under NT you change or better modify the DLL Context specific, under 9x if you go with the VXDCalls you do it globally. (Equal to modifications with a Sys/KMD under NT). Iam sure Yates has some good Code Examples on his Page about But i would prefer NT,since the Process specific Modifications are easier realizeable there.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2005, 00:19
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
nikola Reputation: 0
@NTSC, yes, i realised that on first win98 crash But i didnt think that would be problem. I could just check PID and if its of my process i go on. I just wanted to know how to find address of that VXDCall :/ One i use when i link my loader is from lib. But i need to be able to find it on the fly.
Tnx for answer tho
Old 05-16-2005, 01:08
JuneMouse

well i saw some article in codeproject.com on w9x api hooking i dont have a link
right now but you should be able to locate all articles by artemis (i think i remember right ) it was titled some thing like systemwide hooks on w9x
if you cant locate post ill try to grep my bookmarks
Old 05-17-2005, 04:07
Sarge

NTSC, Nikola:
Thanks, guys, for the support....I think I need to study up on that, as that's a new one for me. If you dont' mind, I'll go the PM route to you, so I don't tie up this thread.
Thanks
sarge
Old 05-17-2005, 16:16
[NtSC]

@ Nikola...

Maybe traverse Exports / or Check Dllbase & use hardcoded Address / or even "borrow" original Function Code. Well,depends on what purpose you need the Code i guess