Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-10-2006, 11:53
MarkusO

Running SoftICE with dual-monitor configuration?

I got an old monitor from a friend. So I thought I could run SoftICE in a dual monitor configuration, which would especially come handy with some full screen DirectX games.

I checked the SoftICE documentation and it tells me that I need two video cards, a normal card and one monochrome video card or a video card with a "disable-VGA" jumper.

I neither have a monochrome card or one with a "disabled-VGA" jumper. I tried around a bit with the two video-outs on my graphic card, but without success.

Then I found a Compuware note in one of the README files, that since there are no more monochrom or "disable-VGA" cards available to buy, there would be another possibility. You need two graphic cards, one of the must be a PCI card. You must set the PCI card as primary-boot-card in the BIOS and select the other card as main Windows video card while not expanding the desktop to the PCI card. Then you must set the SoftICE video driver to "Standard VGA" and add "ALTSCR VGA" tho the "INIT" line in WINICE.DAT.

I did as it was suggested. I installed one PCI card in addition to my AGP card, set the PCI as main boot device and used only the AGP card for Windows without expanding my desktop to the PCI card. Windows shows up on the AGP card, while a full-screen DOS command prompt shows up on the PCI card. So far, so good.

Then I configured SoftICE as it was suggested. I rebooted, started SoftICE with "NET START NTICE" and saw the display attached to the PCI card flickering like when SoftICE starts up.

Then I entered SoftICE with the key combination. The PCI picture flickered again, but no SoftICE screen was showing, only some corrupted characters.

I played a bit around by using "ALTSCR ON", "ALTSCR MONO", "ALTSCR VGA" and "ALTSCR OFF" in the "INIT" line of WINICE.DAT as wenn as setting "MONITOR=0" and "MONITOR=1" in WINICE.DAT. Depending on the setting I had either no picture at all or only some corrupted characters on the screen.

I found out that after I use the SoftICE video configuration, select "Standard VGA" and press the "Test" button after that (while having SoftICE already running), SoftICE will show up normally on the display attached to the PCI card, but only when activating it with the key combination.

From what I read about the SoftICE dual-monitor support, the output screen for SoftICE should always show SoftICE, not only when you enter it. This way it can show loading/unloading of modules in real time.

Can sombody help me how to get the dual-monitor configuration working correctly?