Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you pay for Usenet?
Yes 10 20.41%
No, I use my ISP 19 38.78%
No, I have FTP access, and am too 1337 4U guys 14 28.57%
What's Usenet? 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 15:07
Rhodium

Do you pay for Usenet?

I was wondering who pays for Usenet, and which provider do you use? Currently I use my ISP, it's ok, but retention is only like 30 hours.

I am considering two options:

1. (cheap)

hxxp://www.usenetserver.com

$14.95/month (unlimited dls), and 5 day retention.

2. (luxury)

hxxp://www.allthenewsgroups.com

$39.95/month (120GB/mo), 180 day retention, 99.9% completion, and 110,000+ groups, and no speed caps.

Probably won't get the luxury one though, *sigh*

Last edited by Rhodium; 03-08-2004 at 15:13.
Old 03-08-2004, 17:44
Satyric0n

I use Giganews (hxxp://www.giganews.com). Retention is 30-40 days for binaries, unlimited download speed, and the pricing is variable according to how much you download. I pay $12.00/month for 10GBs worth of downloads.

Regards,
Satyric0n
Old 03-08-2004, 18:40
Rhodium

Do you use hxxp://www.binnews.com for searching ?
Old 03-08-2004, 21:15
VIP

Rept. Given: 91
Rept. Rcvd 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks Given: 62
Thanks Rcvd at 41 Times in 33 Posts
jgutierrez Reputation: 21
I use my ISP's server. It is not very good, with low retention, but it is free.
Old 03-08-2004, 21:43
sgdt

UseNet? Years ago, I installed eDonkey. It has TONS of retention, and you don't even need to know how to read.

Now, IRC (Invision) is a different story. That's a tech that truely rocks more now than the day it was invented.

Need to find a way to cut back on typing, though...
Old 03-08-2004, 22:38
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Rcvd at 5 Times in 5 Posts
hobgoblin Reputation: 0
Usenet..

Hi there,
I've use Newscene for 3 years now. Good retention (depending on what kind of group/filetype you're talking about), from 7 days to 30 days. I pay appr. 25 $ pr.month ( max. 20 GB). Nice speed.
I'm downloading tons of stuff (in periods). Movies, programs etc.
I have never been disappointed by Newscene. As far as I recall i have never experienced any down time at all on their servers.
I have also tried Usenetserver, but due to a lot of trouble I quit using them.

hobgoblin
Old 03-10-2004, 10:02
Satyric0n

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhodium
Do you use hxxp://www.binnews.com for searching ?
No, actually I use hxxp://www.newzbin.com for searching .

Regards
Old 03-10-2004, 12:53
Rhodium

The Poll is pretty balanced so far.

I guess many people here get their stuff directly from the scene.
Old 03-10-2004, 16:15
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
May I suggest that next time you ask the question without the poll. So far you have a total of 17 responses and have a poll which is consuming an inordinate amount of space in a back up of the database for this little participation. That doesn't necessarily make your poll without merit, but the thread could have just as well done without it and you would still have the same information.

Regards,
Old 03-11-2004, 08:16
r3L4x

never heard of usenet.. im guessing it sounds like a pay per use isp type thing?
I just have an ISP, 1mb download, 512kb up, unlimited bandwith.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:29
MrAnonymous

Never heard? lol

Well usenet as mentioned above can be free from your ISP as your isp probably does have a news server you just dont know about it :P Usenet can be used purely as a message board like this, or files can be attached to posts its a very popular way of people not in the 'scene' to get stuff such as DVD's, Utils etc.

I personally have very little need for usenet, get stuff via FTP
Quote:
Originally posted by r3L4x
never heard of usenet.. im guessing it sounds like a pay per use isp type thing?
I just have an ISP, 1mb download, 512kb up, unlimited bandwith.
Old 03-11-2004, 18:50
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Rcvd at 5 Times in 5 Posts
hobgoblin Reputation: 0
Never heard of...?

Never heard of usenet? I'm amazed. Usenet is probably the oldest part of what we know as internet today. It has certainly been an integrated part of internet since the very early days of the net.
You can get all what you need (programs, movies, pr0n etc) from the usenetgroups. Very often ( if not all the time) you can get new program releases (warezed or not) FIRST via the usenetgroups. Most of the time I certainly find what I look for there before I can get it elsewhere. The pro's of using the usenetgroups are many: stable connections - you don't get disconnected by anyone, the stuff you're looking for is available for quite a long time after being posted, you can place requests which most often ar filled by someone, you get a very decent speed - at least if you go through a serious service provider. The con to the usenet is that you have to pay for the service. But that's is not a big deal today (depending on how much you need/want to download over time).
I have spend a lot of time using/exploring the hubs system, the irc system and most of the sharing services as Kazaa, eDonkey and so on. I keep coming back to the usenet all the time. Mostly because of it's stability, speed and availability of new stuff. (An example: After the first episode of the new season of the TV show The Sopranos was aired in the states, a copy of it was available in one of the groups on usenet just a few hours later).
Just my two cents......
hobgoblin

Last edited by hobgoblin; 03-13-2004 at 23:53.
Old 03-11-2004, 18:51
Rhodium

PM me some good FTPs.

But seriously, allthenewsgroups.com is just an outstanding service. 180 day retention for binaries is unheard of.

Last edited by Rhodium; 03-11-2004 at 18:56.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:27
MrAnonymous

ftp://192.168.123.109 ;p

But yeah 180 Day retention is great, must have some nice servers for that
Old 03-13-2004, 05:13
StarBuck

Well I use Easynews. It has great retention and speed. And the best part... a web interface. Put this together with Reget Deluxe and it makes a wonderful combination. 10 U$ a month for 6 gigs. ( I can always pul more by starting one download right at the limit ... It would seem they only check your download total once when you start your download. Last night I hit 7.5 gig . If you use NNTP, you get an extra 25% credit to account for headers.

I do use my ISP's NNTP service, but as it's barely 3 days retention, invariably I have to look to easynews or IRC.

IRC ? Also very good . Klipper script 4.21 rocks. I don't get the fastest speed, but it works quite well.

Cheers

Star Buck
Closed Thread