Notices

Old 08-23-2006, 18:06
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
5Alive Reputation: 0
Tools and tips to read and understand open source?

Hi,

I have downloaded some c++ open source code which I'd like to study to see how it all works. This is a multiple file project, so on first inspection there is a lot of navigation between header file and code files.

Naturally, I searched a little using Google and found a few IDEs that claim to help with the anaylsis of unknown code. Tools like Source Insight, Understand for C++, Source Publisher, UltraEdit and so on.

What tools do you guys use? (commercial or free) for Windows.

I'd like to ask what you guys recommend to help accomplish a quick and reliable analysis?

This project may be complicated by the fact that I am learning C++ as I go along. Do you consider producing UML diagrams will be a helpful aid to my understanding of how things work together?

I appreciate recommendations to help me get this project off to a productive start.

One I know how it all works I hope to add my own code to meet my requirements.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2006, 21:44
Human

brain(free),experience(earned in fight),knowledge(learned),skills, and lot of free time to analyze. with open source and big projects is that nobody knows and do all, you just fix optimize what you feel should be fixed. and thats all, if its not your code then big project you will never understand
Old 08-24-2006, 00:05
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Rcvd at 25 Times in 17 Posts
Mkz Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Alive
Do you consider producing UML diagrams will be a helpful aid to my understanding of how things work together?
For this specific item, I'd recommend that you build your diagrams on paper or on your mind. If you start using UML just because it's "cool" or "popular", and it's one other thing you don't master, it will make the task even harder.
I personally find that a couple of drawings are more helpful than taking the time to learn and follow the standards of UML.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:17
zzsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Alive
What tools do you guys use? (commercial or free) for Windows.
Have you tried the source-navigator (hxxp://sourcenav.sourceforge.net/)? It is very helpful in analyzing complex software projects.