Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-14-2004, 23:03
zinc

What to do first?

I know nothing. But, I want to learn .what should I do first ? and really, I know nothing. So What language should i learn first visual basic, c, c+,c++, or java ?

Last edited by zinc; 02-14-2004 at 23:49.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:32
least

Hi,
I would advise you to start with C, or C++ (I mean C plus plus not C#); C is highlevel enough to be understandable, and on the other hand when you understand pointers and things like that, it is just a step to asm. It is also structured, so probably you'll learn how to write good programs without too much jumping (not as in basic
But be sure to get right book (sources)!
Good luck.
least
Old 02-15-2004, 19:51
Nilrem

I recommend C++, go to amazon and search for C++ in the books section, or go on KLite (or any p2p network) and search for C++ Ebook and you should have a fair few to pick from, if you're completely new to programming then perhaps the "<Title Here> for dummies" or "Learn <Title Here> in 21 days" might be a nice introduction to world of programming.
Old 02-16-2004, 15:08
zinc

thank's allot guy's. i think ill go to kazaa and find an e-book on c++
Old 02-16-2004, 16:01
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
Eleven Reputation: 0
I don't agree about learning a language such as c/c++ from an intro-to-programming point of view.

I'd suggest learning about basic structure before anything else, knowing how code flows is more important than knowing language-specific syntax at an early stage.

Pick something simple, with a deal of easy tutorials or code samples. Once you know the basics of programming, it shouldn't be difficult to pick up another language as your primary one.

You could try Visual Basic, though its code is totally different than c/c++, java and other popular, powerful languages.

Basically, pick something that you can find a lot of info about, don't think that the first language you study will be the one you're stuck with. Check out some of the <xxxxx in 21 days> ebooks, they often cater to the unexperienced coder rather than delving straight into advanced details. Theres a recent post in the software forum that has a lot of ebooks, i'd check there before really starting anything on your own.
Old 02-16-2004, 17:36
zinc

ok, iv got "learn c++ in 21 days" it says ill need a compiler, whats a good one to get?

and thanks Eleven for posting, ill give this c++ a shot and if its too much ill get a basic book. Back in the day i had a Commodore 64 and it came with a book with programs you could put in the computer like 10 print "hello" 20 goto 10 and stuff like that, is that basic ? Man that commodore brings back good memories, 3:00 am playing "zork"
Old 02-16-2004, 17:53
least

Hi,
I'm glad that there is someone who has C64 too, great computer, especiall I loved creatures 2
You are right, that used basic, but nowadays things are different.
Good compiler for C/C++ is hard to chose. You can go to Borland C builder or MS Visual C or some GCC or whatever; I'd advise you to try good old BORLAND C 3.1 or 3.0; it is small, fast, with easy user interface; it has also good help with easy examples.
The choice if 21 days book for quick overview is good but I'd also advice you to get some serious reference.
Regards,
least
Old 02-16-2004, 19:00
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
Eleven Reputation: 0
If you choose c/c++, i'd go find a copy of VC++ 6, its probably ~160mb (entire visual studio package). Using command-line compilers when learning c++ can be a pain, syntax highlighting is a must, otherwise things can get messy. Also saves the need to remember arguements

I remember my old C64, i was never into programming on it, but i definately remember late nights playing zork and <obtaining> games
Old 02-17-2004, 08:23
zinc

Man this is the best forum iv been apart of ! lots of good input, and i dont have to wait a week for someone to post, Im really glad i found it. Im sure ill be back with some more questions, unless im getting on any-body's nerve's with all these "newbie" questions. thx