Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-23-2005, 08:14
MarkusO

Driver Studio 3.2 hang-up on WinXP

I have a AMD64 CPU with less than 4GB RAM and I am running WinXP SP1a (32-bit) with all updates (expect SP2) installed. I am using the recent Driver Studio 3.2 release. My computer is a fresh system, so there is no protector's driver making me problems.

I have the video driver set to start at boot-up and SoftICE to start manual. When I launch SoftICE either with "net start ntice" or with the suplied "startsi.exe", it simply hangs itself. This is done by SoftICE putting itself into a endless loop ("EB FE") inside NTICE code. So the OS is locked but I still can call SoftICE with the key-combo and I can read the error messages.

The only message is "Int0E Fault in SoftICE at address XXXXXXX offset XXXXXXXX". Then there is also a stack and register dump and a message that SoftICE could not parse all symbols correctly. More at the top there is this highlighted: "*** API Hook Failure: MiCopyOnWrite".

Even if I don't have SP2 installed, I tried the /NOPAE and /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF settings, but without luck.

I also saw the "BREAKINSHAREDMODS" variable is not recognized any more, but I don't think that has to do with this.

Can anybody tell me what I am making wrong? or can anybody tell me what happened to the BREAKINSHAREDMODS variable?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:02
willii

I think you should download the osinfo.dat for XP SP2. It may be help.
Old 02-23-2005, 14:58
alastone

I think answers are here already:
http://www.exetools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6804

http://www.exetools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6794
Old 02-24-2005, 04:43
MarkusO

I have downloaded the new osinfo.dat and copied it to the windows\system32\drivers directory overwriting the old one, but it still locks my computer.

Where can I get the old kernel file? Windows Update overwrited the old one but the one on the CD is too old and I don't want to reinstall my system because then I need to do Windows activation again and I heard that you should not use this too often or microsoft have you to explain why you activate so often.

What is with the BREAKINSHAREDMODS variable now? How is it called now?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51
willii

DEP

I think it may be confict with DEP. You can disable DEP in boot.ini. Change /NoExecute to /Execute.

In DS3.2. There is not usermodebreakpoint. Bpx now have parameter .t|.p to set breakpoint on thread or process. So it need not usermodebreakpoint now. If you set breakpoint with no param, it act as 2.7 before, break on every process.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:03
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
kittmaster Reputation: 0
I'm betting that 64 bit is not properly supported even with the osinfo.dat file. I've scoured the site for compuware and the it doesn't specifically say that it supports 64 bit processing. Even on a 32 bit system to 64 the upper byte blocks would be 0000:0000 and it shouldn't matter, but the only thing compuware mentions is devpartner42 which is not linked to driver studio.

I could be wrong, hopefully others with a 64 bit system can chime in to add more

Chris
Old 02-24-2005, 15:12
Friend

Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Rcvd at 7 Times in 7 Posts
peleon Reputation: 7
Well, I have installed DS3.2 on AMD64 with XP-SP1 and SP2 and it works great. DS3.1 was not working at all on AMD64.

I have /NoExecute=OptIn in boot.ini.

Also, Visual Softice works also great.

Crazy this computer world...it should be the same for same computer...
Old 02-24-2005, 16:02
Sergey R.

DS32 hanged up WinXP SP1 during "Manual" start (other modes was not checked) in my computer when "Kaspersky Anti-Virus Monitor" was installed. Was switched off but installed only!
I deleted "Monitor" (but "Scanner" is still in use) and DS works well now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willii
... Bpx now have parameter .t|.p to set breakpoint on thread or process. ...
It's not only now. These modifiers existed in ver.2.7 already (and I am not sure but they were in some earlier versions...)

Last edited by Sergey R.; 02-24-2005 at 16:13.
Old 02-24-2005, 16:10
Kerlingen

@MarkusO:
I already posted this in an other thread, but it hasn't been posted here yet, so here it is again:

Maybe you have BIOS settings for this problem. I once worked with a 8x Xeon MP computer with 16 GB RAM installed and its BIOS contained a setting like (I don't remember the exact words): "enable memory hole above 4G". When you enabled it, Windows wasn't able to detect more than 4 GB of RAM. Although I don't know if this had an effect on the PAE settings.

I didn't yet install DS 3.2 (I only update when a protector "needs" it or when I reformat my HDD), so I can't tell you what happened to the variable you mentioned.

@willii:
I think MarkusO has no conflicts with DEP since he is using SP1a, but DEP was introduced in SP2. He already wrote that he, even if not using SP2, used the BOOT.INI setting "/NoExecute=AlwaysOff", which is identical to "/Execute".

Last edited by Kerlingen; 02-24-2005 at 18:33.
Old 02-24-2005, 17:50
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
Remember that the FTP also has the

"Compuware_DevPartner64_v1.0.1_iNTERNAL-PARADOX"

release, which might have something for these issues.

See:

http://www.compuware.com/products/devpartner/64.htm

Regards,
Old 02-24-2005, 18:28
Kerlingen

@JMI:
But not for 6-post Users in "New Member" group.

@MarkusO:
Don't request anybody to download it for you or you might run into trouble with JMI denying you to step up into the next usergroup for some weeks. Just be a bit more active in the forums and you will get FTP access. Or you could try to catch it on some filesharing networks.
Old 02-24-2005, 19:03
Friend

Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Rcvd at 7 Times in 7 Posts
peleon Reputation: 7
I havent had success installing Devparter64 due to missing serial number for installation. Anyway, it looks an older version than DS3.2, isnt it? So, I guess that DS3.2 is more compatible with newest Windows.

If anyone success installing DevPartner64, just drop a line
Old 02-24-2005, 19:09
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
Kerlingen:

NOT having FTP access is no excuse. That's why the Diety invented internet search engines. That program is out there is several places, including the one where the rest of them were uploaded from and an alternative location for obtaining DS 3.2 has already been posted here and that source also has the DevPartner version as well.

Regards,
Old 02-25-2005, 03:54
MarkusO

I installed new ICEEXT 0.66 with DS 3.2 support and it told me that some value in registry was wrong with SoftICE and if it should correct it and I said yes and now SoftICE starts without hanging up.

But now when I enter "net start iceext" at command line to start ICEEXT it tells me a "system error 1450" with a message that I don't have enough system resources to execute the service. this also happens when I enter this and SoftICE is not alraedy loaded. Then it loads SoftICE but for ICEEXT it gives me same error message (not ICEEXT message but Windows messge). But all my memory is free so this can't be. Has anybody seen this alraedy is is this also a problem of SP1 with all updates?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:35
Friend

Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 0 Times in 0 Posts
leosmi05 Reputation: 0
Just to make it more clear (this info is posted in all 3 threads):

If you have the latest Windows Updates installed (as of 24.02.05, MS05-15 is the latest), DriverStudio 3.1 or SoftICE 4.3.1 will WORK if you use the previous version of the NTOSKRNL.EXE, version 5.1.2600.1568 from 17.06.2004.

The update which is causing the problem is KB885835 which comes with a new NTOSKRNL.EXE, version 5.1.2600.1605 from 22.10.2004, and it seems that, for the moment, as of 24.02.2005, the OSINFO.DAT from Compuware's web site does not work with this NTOSKRNL.EXE.

You can find the old version in this directory: C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB885835$
(replace C:\WINDOWS with your actual path).

So, copy this NTOSKRNL.EXE to OLD_KRNL.EXE and add this line to your BOOT.INI:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional DS 3.1" /fastdetect /noguiboot /KERNEL=OLD_KRNL.EXE

Then just restart and whenever you want to run DS 3.1, just select the proper configuration
befre you start Windows.
:-)