Exetools  

Go Back   Exetools > General > General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-25-2005, 05:46
Kerlingen

@MarkusO:
The BreakInSharedMods variable is no longer used in DriverStudio 3.2. I installed the new version a few minutes ago on Win2K and when setting breakpoints they break in all processes, without having to use the ATTACH or ADDR command any longer.

<Edit>
I also tried to install IceExt 0.66, but it doesn't load, even if it is the version especially build for DriverStudio 3.2. I'm getting an error message from NET.EXE when trying to load IceExt, which tries to convince me that I'm out of system resources, even if it runs as stable as with DriverStudio 3.1 and IceExt 0.65 and with the same KDE settings. You don't accidently have your problems only with IceExt installed, do you?
</Edit>

<Edit2>
Your post wasn't yet moderated when I posted this, so yes, I'm also having problems with IceExt 0.66 with the same error message when trying to start the service.
</Edit2>

@leosmi05:
You should better delete your other responses. You posted your last reply in three different threads. If JMI finds out, he will tell you some not very nice sounding words in bold letters (or take care of you in a different way), since all people below 15 posts are watched very closely on what they post. Posting three times exacly the same message doesn't qualify as "useful" post.

Last edited by Kerlingen; 02-25-2005 at 16:51.
Old 02-25-2005, 18:22
Kerlingen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI
Remember that the FTP also has the

"Compuware_DevPartner64_v1.0.1_iNTERNAL-PARADOX"

release, which might have something for these issues.
I got it now, but this is for IA64 CPUs (Itanium), not for x86_64 CPUs (AMD64/EM64T). So it can't help here.
Old 02-25-2005, 20:01
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 7 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 7 Times in 7 Posts
peleon Reputation: 7
Kerlingen:

I think that you are wrong. It can target IA64 and AMD64/EMT64T.
Old 02-25-2005, 20:52
Kerlingen

I can't test it since I have no IA64 or AMD64/EM64T Computer available. (hopefully I have an EM64T soon)

I only read the NFO and I think it doesn't leave much room for interpretation:
Quote:
Visual SoftICE system debugger and BoundsChecker64 run time error detection.

Now that the Intel Itanium processors are here, you need to plan to take full advantage it. But without the right development tools to debug programs targeted for it, you miss out. That's why you need Compuware DevPartner64. We took two of the industry's best-known high performance debugging tools¨´Visual SoftICE and BoundsChecker¨´and re-engineered them specifically for the Intel IA64 processor family. Then we packaged them together to give you the only toolkit available today that combines advanced system-wide debugging and automated error detection.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:04
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 0 Times in 0 Posts
leosmi05 Reputation: 0
@Kerlingen
> You should better delete your other responses. You posted your last reply in three different threads.
Yes, it was on purpose, but not to have more posts. I just wanted to let it there so that you don't have to read all the 3 different posts.

@JMI
Sorry about that. I'll post only once if this was not a good idea.
You can remove the post and let it only in one place.
And you can also substract 2 from my message count.
Old 02-26-2005, 18:23
Kerlingen

I think JMI did already "review" you. When I warned you about your posts, you had a post count of 14. Now you have a post count of 8.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:20
Crk

don't remember exactly which steps i took to make Driver studio 3.1 load without freezing or similar problem.. ididn't like the new command for breakpoint because i'm familiar with SICE 4.05 so decided to uninstall and got 3.2 .. running but i have similar problem as Markuso .. after loading i could do Ctrl+D and SICE loads but Windows is freezed.. happends with manual and booting with windows will not let it load it...so far i remember i didn't edit any boot.ini or anything and 3.1 was loading fine.. now again i'm having trouble with this new version.. running SP1a with all latest updats except Sp2.. Pemtium 3 at 600 mhz, Intel board, 512 MB SDram, ATI Range 128 PRO (32 MB AGP)

so far i see NTice is looping on an infinitive loop (EBFE) . why ?

My boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98 SE" /noguiboot
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noguiboot

attached Winice.dat

any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winice.zip (1.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-07-2005, 17:30
Kerlingen

@Crk:
Did you already read this whole thread? Do you have a error with hooking "MiCopyOnWrite"? Are you using IceExt? Did you try to replace your KERNEL with the old version? Did you already try /NoPAE and /NoExecute=AlwaysOff switches? How does your hang-up differ from the ideas posted here already?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:35
Crk

will try with time the old kernel trick since .. that could be the cause as you explained? i will try later but i didn't used any boot.ini trick before as i mentioned.. maybe was some .dat replacement to make DS 3.1 work.. but not sure .. will let you know.. will give a try those .ini changes explained here to see if work.... to MArKuso ... what trick worked for you??

and about Icext ..i didn't have it installed and DS 3.2 had same problem.. happends with latest version of icext installed or not .. icext (latest version) runs fine for me.

Regards

Last edited by Crk; 03-08-2005 at 12:39.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:43
Crk

confirmed the OLD Kernel tricks works.. unfortanely iceext67 is not doing the hidden job very well..... FTPRush (armadillo) exit with some error Code after loading DS 3.2 + iceext

Best Regards
Old 12-16-2005, 02:11
laola

Cool

Stepping back to an older kernel is not even necessary. I am running DS 3.01 on the most current XP. All you have to do is:

- Download latest WinDbg (free download from Microsoft) and install it.
- Pick symsrv.dll from WinDbg installation and replace the older version in the DS installation folder with it. Note: There are at least two instances of symsrv.dll in the DS folders.
- Run the DS symbol retriever. Configure output path etc. to your liking, then pick NTOSKRNL.EXE, ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, user32.dll from your Windows/System32 directory and add them to the list of files.
- Download appropriate debug symbol files from MS and let the symbol retriever translate them to *.nms (Numega symbol format) - this may take a bit of time and the symbol retriever isn't too talkative about the progress. Just be patient until the program has done its work
- Run the DS setup program, add the following line to the advanced settings:
NTSYMBOLS=ON
- add the previously generated nms files to the list of symbols to import for SI.
- Download latest osinfo.dat just to make sure and replace the outdated file in your Windows/System32/Drivers (IIRC)
- Save the settings and reboot your comp.
- Open a dosbox, enter "net start ntice" and there ya go.

P.S. I am currently fiddling with IceExt in combination with a total conversion of SoftICE - I'll let you know when (if) I find a way to make it work properly.