Old 12-07-2005, 20:00
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 0 Times in 0 Posts
florin_m Reputation: 0
Anyone good with Mac's?

Recently i bought a printer from Dell with the idea to use it with all pc's and mac's in the house. It has a wifi module so u can access the printer over the network. Unfortunatly seems that dell doesn't support Mac's
After lots of researches i found out that the printer is in fact Lexmark X7170 and the wifi adaptor too. The lexmark printer HAS drivers for linux , mac, dos...all. I've tryed to install them on my wife;s iMac and seems that the drivers looks for lexmark strings so, it will not work with my dell printer. If anyone can help me I'll realy apreciate it.
Also i managed to put my hand on firmware for the printer but seems in the printer is stored a serial number from which the firmware deceide if to show Lexmark or Dell.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:04
ntwizard

Dell is very good about putting in checks so people cannot update this firmware with the OEM firmware. I found this out on other printers. The printer is now useless. They also like to make it so that hardware they don't support, don't work. So I would be careful about hacking the firmware. Why don't you try sharing the printer on a PC using Appletalk? I was able to get this work for several schools I did some labor contracts for.
Old 12-13-2005, 18:41
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 0 Times in 0 Posts
florin_m Reputation: 0
But then i didn't done no good. I wanted to share a printer without needing to have a pc online all the time. That was the all point of buying a printer with wifi connector
Anyway, going to buy the lexmark version too and going to clone them. I'll post the results here