Old 01-05-2005, 19:19
Friend

Rept. Given: 1
Rept. Rcvd 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Rcvd at 16 Times in 12 Posts
pp2 Reputation: 2
Hello JMI!

May I suggest one rule? 10 (or whatever else) posts limit doesn't make sense, imho. You should permit to download (FTP or attachments) only for users, that were registered at least 1 month ago (also with 10 valueable posts or created threads, not replies) for example. This will limit users whose only goal is to get download permission (as you can see, I was registered long ago, but do not have such permission by this time). And 1 post in 24h limit is too sad (I will not answer anybody else this day)... you'd better limit byte count for downloading attachments (forum credits, like in FTP), for example.

All these modifications can be easily doen with VBulletin, AFAIK.

Best regards, pp2.

p.s. happy new year to everybody!
Old 01-05-2005, 20:53
Friend

Rept. Given: 17
Rept. Rcvd 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Rcvd at 6 Times in 6 Posts
redbull Reputation: 5
For what it's worth I think the current membership policy is fine.

I guess I speak for the other active members who has not posted a response on this thread!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:25
Friend

Rept. Given: 0
Rept. Rcvd 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Rcvd at 1 Time in 1 Post
n0ital Reputation: 0
Happy New Year to all users...IMHO, the machine is starting to eat itself...why not divorce the FTP from the forum and be done with it...perhaps the forum will become a place to freely share info without having big brother suspiciously vet every post as if users were always attempting to circumvent needless rulez...but then again, there wouldn't be much use for overseers...power plays...blah.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight!

n0iTaL
Old 01-09-2005, 15:09
zephyrer

The search restriction is too severe to novices.
I heard of "ExeTools.com" for a long time, but the forum closed the registration at that time. Today I am searching something and Google led me to a post of the forum, and I just found that the forum allows registrations again.
So, in my opinion, those numbers of posts are a large knowledgebase to users like me. Not to search is a pain to me, because that means I have to browse the boards screen by screen.
By the way, the periodical password changing is another pain to me, I think.
Old 01-09-2005, 22:27
sunilt

Thumbs up Nothing against newbie's

I have nothing against newbies or leechers or whatevers,
but i agree with JMI "THE BOSS IS ALWAYS RIGHT"
Old 01-17-2005, 02:05
VIP

Rept. Given: 39
Rept. Rcvd 61 Times in 41 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 4 Times in 4 Posts
D-Jester Reputation: 61
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI
How hard can it be to actually "write down" your passwords in some semi-secure location where you live? As stated, your computer will "remember" your current password for you, but that means "anyone" who has access to your computer...
This is probably the most common method of password hacking.

Rather than write it down or save it using a password saving program, use something you will remember.

I recommend 8 minimum to 20 Charaters maximum

Use common sayings like your pets name(s) Mixed with numbers such as your phone number area code or prefix, zip code, member number, and-or underscore and dashes, the key is to break up common words with other information, this nearly eliminates the possibility that someone could guess you password even by brute force attack, or that you forget it

Such as:

gamma740_open385
Get546Window459Text-A
lima098-_zebra06you
Flush89Instruction78_Cache
spot-8_wilbur

There are endless possibilities, the key is to structure your password so its easy to remember.
Even as darkness envelops and consumes us, wrapping around our personal worlds like the hand that grips around our necks and suffocates us, we must realize that life really is beautiful and the shadows of despair will scurry away like the fleeting roaches before the light.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:41
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
D-Jester:

The general rule of password "hacking" is that people generally leave their password in some "unsecure" location, like on a sticky attached to their monitor or under their keyboard. The premise of my comment was that they keep it in some "semi-secure" location. The only problem with your suggestion is quantity. I personally have at least 25 different passwords which I frequently use, and while it is fairly easy to remember one or two or even seven or eight, it becomes more and more complex and the numbers of them grow. It would be extremely dangerous to use the "same" password for more than one reasonably critical use.

Regards,
Old 01-21-2005, 07:06
ntwizard

I don't think Aaron's out of line in any way..
I belong to many other forums and they place similar restrictions on new users as well..
Old 01-27-2005, 20:06
epikur

what happens if you post more than allowed

what happens when you post more than allowed compared to your registration-status? I noticed my reply-post didnt came up as it should and havent for hours (a reply to windasm danger post in generel). Does this post get 'posted' after some time has passed or is this just lost? (If the post get deleted without the users knowledge, this would just course frustration to the users).

And what do I do, count the hours when I'm allowed to post again?

(I even dont know if this post is gonna appear)

Why not only allow the FTP for senior-members or some like those who have posted and been registered for a long time (like 6month). There are users who like to discuss and dont care about the FTP (I am one of those).
Old 01-28-2005, 00:00
Leader

Rept. Given: 5
Rept. Rcvd 199 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 96 Times in 94 Posts
JMI Reputation: 100-199 JMI Reputation: 100-199
Posts from new members go to a "Moderation Que" awaiting either Aaron's or my review before they are "visible" on the Forums. We are not here "all" the time and, therefore, sometimes they take a while to appear. Sometimes they are simply deleted "before" they can appear. Sometimes they are posted and "then" disappear.

Regards
Old 01-28-2005, 02:37
spokey

The different members classes are those done automatic or also "judged" by Aaron or JMI, because i noticed people with 11 post who are trial member and people with 15+ post "still" are new member etc.

Would`nt it be handy if new members could send a pm to site admins/owners if they have a question? (maybe it aint enable 4 new members because the admins would get to much pm`s?)

For instance i wanted to know how strict the ftp upload rules are, it says programming/hacking apps only, but some apps are`nt really programming/hacking apps but could be very usefull, apps like: VMWare_Workstation_V4.5.2_MULTIOS-BiN
But i dont have pm rights 2 ask if they are allowed and i dont wanna fill ftp with unwanted/unneeded stuff ofcourse.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:15
VIP

Rept. Given: 2
Rept. Rcvd 66 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks Rcvd at 14 Times in 8 Posts
CrackZ Reputation: 67
"After a New Member has been a member for 7 days and has 7 Posts, they are eligible for promotion to "Trial Member."

Usergroup "Trial Member" have limited rights. They may only create 3 Threads and 3 Posts within a 24 hour period. "Trial Members" may search and upload and download attachments."

Is this still the current policy?.

Can I also express my frustration at the 'posting delay', several times now I've answered threads only to find that when my reply finally is moderated, the thread has moved on or someone else has answered the question already, it makes some thread flows very disjointed.

I know you guys are busy folks and I understand the reasons why you moderate in this manner (hence why I'm not asking you to consider some other approach to prevent abuse, since I'm betting you've looked at all the options anyway), however, is there any possibility you can appoint some extra 'post moderators' just so posts don't take 8hrs or more to appear.

Regards

CrackZ.
Old 01-30-2005, 20:57
abitofboth

While my posts may or may not turn up eventually, is what it is!
I think think the initiative is good, there's alot of sites with.. uhm..submaximal content, so some quality-control is in order, wich in turn may motivate the 'dedication' of new users....
Old 02-05-2005, 02:58
trenco

Why search and atachment download options are disabled?
This make newbies can't learn anything, nor search a tutorial or download it if they can find it.

I think restrictions should be hard to be a Member,but we sould be able to discuss other user's atachments.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:58
noobzilla

My biggest problem with the current rules is not being able to search the board. All it does is make it harder to find topics and causes duplicate questions to appear.

Reviews of posts are good before they appear on the board. I assume it is only for new members? Moderation of every groups posts would be excessive.
Closed Thread